Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: LMacKinnon picture (Mystery Houseplant. Hanging/Creeping. Mauve Stems)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LMacKinnon

Subject: Mystery Houseplant. Hanging/Creeping. Mauve Stems

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Mystery Houseplant. Hanging/Creeping. Mauve Stems
LMacKinnon wrote:
We have had this plant indoors for almost five years. Household lore has it that it was obtained from an exotic plant store specializing in medicinal and psychotropic plants. I couldn't begin to guess how this plant could be used for any practical purpose, however.
Left to its own devices, the plant habit is prolific and messy. It will grow up to four feet long. When trimmed it explodes with new growth (usually, it has suffered some ill recently; which is part of the reason we're trying to find out what it is) almost immediately.
It will root from the stems if they are exposed to soil. We propagate by putting a stem on the surface of a pot full of soil and cut it from the parent when rooted.
It rarely blooms and I cannot recall what the blooms look like. No apparent smell, pollen or sap is ever produced.
The stems are mauve, not really purple and somewhat brittle but not quite woody. The leaves are almost yellow when young and turn a middling green when mature. The leaf-veins are mauve like the stems.
Probably a tropical plant, but we really can't be sure. It sort of climbs, but mostly hangs.
Unlobed leaves bi-symmetrical along the stem. Thin and dry, not glossy or hairy or thick like an ivy.
Please help! I would love to have enough information to bring the poor thing back form the brink!

This message was edited May 18, 2012 11:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America