Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

High Yield Gardening: farmerfarmer picture (High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright farmerfarmer

In reply to: High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds

Forum: High Yield Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of High Yield Gardening in Raised Beds
farmerfarmer wrote:
I've been trying to find an app for gardening the square foot method for a while now and I think I might have found something pretty useful. Smartgardener.com just came out with a new "add on" to its online application that lets you map out your garden with suggested square foot spacings and even has cool little structures for trellises, cages and other types of support.

It's also a plus that the website generates personalized reminders of my garden tasks and has a huge database of all the growing info I would ever want about the plants I'm growing right down to the variety level. I'm going to give this a try this summer and then reply back with my experience with it and I'd like to hear some feedback from others about this app and other apps that are useful for growing a lot of food quickly in small spaces.

Can't wait to trellis my Pumpkins and Melons and hang them in their slings!

I'm not doing the standard SF mix because Peat has to be mined from Wetlands that are the most crucial ecosystems on the planet - they are the kidneys of the earth - specifically peatlands and peat bogs are huge carbon sinks and also provide critical habitat since they are the median between terrestrial and aquatic life. Some gardeners use cocofiber as a substitute but I find that this mix gets too compact, so i just used standard potting mix and amended with good ol' garden compost and I've had amazing results.

This message was edited May 23, 2012 4:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America