Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: serenaski picture (Need help to identify and find this plant.)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright serenaski

Subject: Need help to identify and find this plant.

Forum: Beginner Gardening Questions

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Need help to identify and find this plant.
serenaski wrote:
I first got this plant from a kind local gardener who was thinning her gardens, I thought she called it an Evening Primrose, however I have tried multiple searches under that name and cannot find it. I am in Traverse City, MI, recently changed from zone 5 to zone 6 by the Dept. of Agriculture.

My problem is that mine all died last winter and I miss them terribly. I also have lost the contact information for the person who gave them to me about 3 or 4 years ago. From the first year I planted one it bloomed beautifully, then came back the next year with a couple friends and all again bloomed and spread again, the year before last I moved some of the extras to another location where they came up well and bloomed last summer. But this year none of them have returned, I fear that our overly mild winter did them in, because I had never protected them in previous years when we actually had low temps and lots of snow.

I am not even completely sure that they were the same plants coming back or if it was reseeding itself, but I really did think it was a perennial. The pictures of the Missouri Primroses look like the same or a similar bloom, but this one had stalks that had multiple blooms instead of the single blooms that I have seen. Maybe it is the same plant with a different habit depending on location?

If anyone can tell me what they are, and how I can keep them alive for more than a few years I would be very grateful. Do you think it was our non-winter weather winter that killed them or did they require some special care that I neglected?

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America