Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Iím back again but I donít know for how long as the old computer is doing some funny things. For example I can only ďhalfĒ get into Face Book and I mean half. I only get half of the page showing. The other day when I opened it up I could get it all again but no pictures, only little boxes with a red cross in the corner, yesterday I couldnít get into it at all. And when it was sort of working I still couldnít get into the Brom Site that Tash started for us all so it looks like its signed me out of that and all of the other ďBrom PlanetĒ sites.

Anyway itís good to be back again and be able to see what you all have been up to. I havenít been able to read all the posts since I last visited but I see the regulars are still here although I see Colleenís hasnít been back since the 12th when she said the temp. was zero degrees C so she may be frozen by now. I hope she thaws out soon though because we'll miss her.

It seems like the weather wasnít too kind to Shirley and Wendy when they went on holidays. I would have thought going north you would have had nice weather but it seems some of our wet weather found its way up north to spoil everything for you. Anyway if itís any consolation it was no better down here either.

Shirley Ė Were those last picís of the Vrieseas from the garden at Hervey Bay as well? Thereís some nice Vr. Fosterianas in the first one, they look a lot like my supposed ďRed ChestnutĒ but thereís so many ďlook alikesĒ around now you wouldnít know as its been selfed so many times itís hard to say what a true Red Chestnut is and whatís not now.

The shot of the three (what look like) Vr Splendriet reminded me to tell you what happened to mine. A few years back we had a very cold winter and my three plants of Vr. Splendriet suffered terrible cold damage and I thought I was going to lose them. They looked a bit ordinary for a long, long time and then they finally started to pup and this time it was multiple pups, not just the usual one like they had done previously. I guess itís the same old story with all bromís, when they are stressed or damaged badly they make that extra effort to re-establish themselves so they donít become extinct. Well suffice to say they grew well and produced multiple flower spikes as well and Iíve never seen them look better before or since (see pic).

Wendy Ė Iíve said before Iím not a Tillandsia person but the colours in the ones you have posted are magnificent, especially the first one and if I was to start growing them I think after what youíve just posted, Til. Capitata would be where I would start.

Iíll finish with a few picís, firstly the Vr. Splendriet I mentioned above followed by four seedlings from a batch of XNiduregelia ĎSomething Specialí seedlings (I suspect crossed by insects with a Neoregelia), even though the experts say that seed from bi-generics is sterile??????????

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America