Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Yes it’s good to be back also, and thanks for the “welcome back” especially the “double”welcome back from Colleen, I really appreciate it........ Colleen – Tell us a bit about your Crypanthus methods of culture. I didn’t think you would be able to grow them down there with it being so cold in the winter, or do you take them to bed with you of a night? Whatever you do they look great! The albo-marginated Neo is nice too, what’s its name? As a question following the pic’s I showed of Something Special hybrids yesterday, wasn’t it you who got some from me as well, and if so what are they starting to look like, or are they still too young?

Karen – Gee that’s great news about your new medication. I know a lot of our GP’s are against natural therapies, but I’m fortunate as I have a doctor I’ve had for thirty five years who thinks everything has a place in medicine. He went to China to learn acupuncture as he reckoned the Chinese had been using it successfully for thousands of years so there must be something good in it and he’s really quite good at it. Often he will refer patients to chiropractors as well if he thinks it will help and he often recommends natural products from the health food shop especially fish oil and krill. So it’s good to have a doctor with an open mind, however having said all of that, you really must make sure that the new medication won’t interact with other medication you are taking, just to be on the safe side. Finally could you send me all the details as I need a truck load of it as I can barely walk at present with the cold aggravating my arthritis.

I love your pic of the sun shining through the foliage of the Neo. It’s very artistic. I found that if you have a plant of the common old Neo spectabilis (that people don’t seem to want to grow any more) and grow it up high so you can view it from below, the colours in that are great also, especially with the sun behind it.

Shirley – Regarding the xNiduregelia I wrote about, I still have many more to yet reach maturity, but so far the majority of them are looking more like small/medium Neo’s than anything else, and although the shape isn’t much to write home about, the cup colours in some are really quite attractive. The ones that do take on the size and shape of the ‘Something Special’ parent have all up until now produced better (more in the orangey shades) colour than the mother plant.

I like the pic of your Neo ‘Mauve Star’, I haven’t seen it before. I have ‘Purple Star’ and ‘Pink Star’ both of which are nice clear colours but unfortunately don’t have any of the nice variegations like your ‘Mauve Star’.

I spent most of yesterday in the cold garage re-potting (long overdue for re-potting) seedlings. They were the “tail enders” of a mix of two different Ae. Blanchetianas and some plants of Ae. Eurycorymbus, Ae. Emmerichiae, Ae. Forest Fire, Ae.Blanchetiana x Leptantha and a bigeneric, X Portemea ‘Luis Ariza Julia’ x Self. It was all seed which originally came from USA via a friend and they are all going to be large plants like Blanchetiana.

Unfortunately I don’t have the space for them but as they were in 3” pots which needed re-potting three years ago and didn’t get done, I just had to do them as some of them were 18”-24” high and kept falling over in their tiny 3” pots and looked ridiculous. What I’m going to do with them I don’t know as I can’t post them as the postage would cost too much and no one around here wants large plants like this as space is a problem in collections for everyone. So I might see if I can sell them to a “Landscaper” and maybe get rid of them this way and if not, they’ll go over to the Illawarra Light Railway Museum garden with all of my other off-casts.

A just as a change of pace I’ll finish with a few pic’s from an article written by my “brom friend” Chanin Thurot from Thailand, who I thank for giving me his permission to use his article and pictures to share with fellow "brom lovers". Regardless of what the DG copyright says these are all Chanin’s pictures and are of a few pic’s of the Cryptanthus parents he uses as well as some of his many seedling showing the variation in colours possible with hybrids. The first two pic's are of plants named firstly after Lisa Vinzant a well know hybridizer from Hawaii and secondly after her husband Ken. The remainder are of a mixrure of his seedlings.

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America