Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: vitrsna picture (Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm')

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright vitrsna

In reply to: Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'
vitrsna wrote:
here is a photo of "junior" (he doesn't like the name "pea wee" anymore and thinks it is too babyish) who says "hi! mr. corey and worms", wait til you see me bloom!". he thinks he is a lot bigger than he really is but he is making good progress and doesn't seem phased by the heavy rains and storms of the last week. the rainy season has officially started.

about the approx. 1000 seeds i dumped on some soil on June 11. on June 17, i noticed lots and lots of little seedlings...the color was right but i wasn't sure. now i'm sure they are from the "rudbeckia fulgida var. speciosa" seeds. the seed package describes this as a usa native wildflower so i suppose that makes the seeds wild. gee, now junior has hundreds of siblings and i'm not sure where i will put them all. the package says they are good to zone 9b and i am zone 10b...so i hope they like it here. i just took the 6 r. hirta seeds out of the refri so we'll see how they do, or don't do. i'm going to look for some hirta seeds that i can just toss...i think i have some left.

7 days to germination, egad and after 2 years of trying every method imaginable. i am coming to realize that germination methods need to take into consideration the type of seeds. more and more i think the "toss 'em where they will like to grow" method is the one i will use for wild seeds and maybe some perennials, but highly cultivated vegetable and annual flower seeds would be treated very differently. maybe this is something every other gardener knows but i've only just realized. that's a little embarrassing, but i've only really been growing wild seed for about 4 years.

have you managed to get some things started this year? or are you taking a year off from gardening? lots of things are germinating for me now...which should have actually germinated in february (4 months ago) so i've gotten a very late start. the input from you and worms has really been helpful and i think i would have given up without the ideas put forth from both of you so thank you.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America