Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: works4me picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012
works4me wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have had one of those days today … you know, the ones when everything goes wrong and disaster is everywhere. And it seems my memory has become so poor lately, half the time I have no idea what I am doing, or supposed to be doing … confusion reigns supreme!!!

Wendy, glad to see you are still here. Hope your computer and printer are now working OK.

I bought some new broms today at the market and decided to spray them before adding them to the rest of my collection. Being new to brom growing and learning the hard way not to use white oil, I took a grower’s advice and purchased Amgrow Insect & Mite, which is apparently the same as Rogor (which I'm told isn’t being produced any more).

I removed the bottle from the packaging and before opening it, read the directions. Luckily, I noticed the small print on the bottom of the label ... expiry date August 2012, DOM - Sept 2004 … almost 8 years old and I bought this just last week. It will be going back next week for replacement. There was nothing on the outside of the packaging indicating the expiry date.

I am rather reluctant to use chemical sprays, mainly because I am afraid of killing my lovely broms.

Anyway, I had also bought some Confidor systemic concentrate in a little tube and decided I would try that instead. I had turned on the hose to fill my spray pump bottle when my neighbour came to visit. I went to open the gate and threw the hose into the garden. After chatting for 40 minutes, we got a few drops of rain and she left to go home. I decided not to bother with the spraying and went inside.

Some 3 hours later Michael asked if I had a tap on as the house pump was running. Initially, I said No, then thought I had better check, only to find the hose still running in the garden. Had it been water from our bore it wouldn’t have mattered so much but it was our precious rain water. So, I am hoping we get the rain that is predicted for next week … I’ll really be in the poo if we run short of water.

Then, I went out in the dark (barefoot, of course) to see how much water had flooded the garden and near broke my little toe when I stubbed it on the retaining wall.

Anyway, enough of that. I do have a question ?? Should I use these sprays at the recommended strength for ornamentals and is it OK to use it on vrieseas and guzmanias as well as neos. Is there anything I should not spray and also do I spray the undersides of the leaves as well as the top. Any advice re spraying would be much appreciated ... please.

I will finish up tonight with pics of a couple more of my unnamed broms, the first a vriesea, the second a guzmania. If anyone can name either one, please do. Many thanks

Shirley

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 10:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America