Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning all, well, you must have uncrossed your fingers, because it started pouring here at about 7pm last night, and it hasn't stopped! I managed to get the veranda oiled by midday, so hopefully that was long enough for it to dry out before the rain came. I'm supposed to do another coat, but who knows when that will be, and meanwhile, the yard will be a quagmire and the dogs will be charging up and down with wet muddy feet, unless I keep them fenced off.
Anway, back to broms! I quickly walked around yesterday to get a few pics, and will have a go at uploading them on the new computer, but will resize them first. I also don't know how good the quality will be, as I didn't take them on my usual camera, so I have a feeling the colours will be a bit off.
Shirley, like Mike says, A. 'Ensign' prefers to be grown as an epiphyte, so tied to a trunk or log. I grow mine in coir mix, in a small pot, with a hanger and keep it out of the rain in winter. It gets morning sun which keeps it a nice tubby shape without burning the white parts of the foliage. I have had numerous pups and all have been well marked. Colleen has two of them. How have they done down there Colleen? I did think they would be cold tender, and was concerned when I sent them so far south, but I did warn Colleen of this.
Mike, interesting what you say about the Groucho grex going to a supermarket chain. I have my suspicions who that would be, and in fact i bought Groucho there a couple of years ago. That will really bring the price down eh? I paid a pretty penny for it, but it does pup well, and I made my money back, as well as swapping a couple for other things. I no longer have the plant (got carried away cleaning out the collection) but I know where I can get one if I want one again, so all is not lost. I think Neo. 'First Prize' has had a name change, but I can't recall what it is. Also, please assure Nev, that it wasn't us women that chased you away! It seems it has always been a bit dominated with the ladies around here.
And nev, you love it! heh heh. I hope you had fun learning about power point presentations. I made one once, just to try it out, but never went any further with it. I imagine it would be a useful tool when giving demos or informative talks. I'm sure you will interface with the programme ok? heh heh
I haven't bought a bromeliad in ages. The last one was a pot of green Billbergia 'Hallelujah' with about 5 plants for $10. I couldn't resist, and especially knowing they will colour up in the right light.
Well, I don't know what I will get up to today with the crappy weather, but I'll start with uploading a pic and then having some breakky. I hope everyone is having a happy time today
the first photo is a plant that I think Mike may have given to Leisa some time back. Everyone comments on it. It has lost a bit of colour with less sun, and it is quite a small plant. Any ideas Mike?
The second photo is Portea kermesina coming into flower
the third is Tillandsia somnians coming into flower.
Sue

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 8:55 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America