Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: RickCorey_WA picture (Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm')

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RickCorey_WA

In reply to: Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'
RickCorey_WA wrote:
>> i read or heard once that if a gardener has one dollar, 90 cents should be spent on good soil and 10 cents should be spent on plants.

The version I heard was that we should always put a 10 cent plant into a 50 cent hole.

Wild asparagus! Cool!

Many people call Bok Choy "Chinese cabbage", but "real" Chinese cabbage is heading and looks like Romain lettuce* : varieties like Napa, Michili, Soloist and Tenderheart. Latgin name Brassica rapa (Pekinensis Group) .
Like this, but supermarkets sell it as tighter heads:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/105986/

Unfortunately, DG Plant Files uses the common name "Chinese Cabbage" to cover both Napa and true Bok Choy.

Bok Choy (same as Pak Choi) is Brassica rapa (Chinesis Group). The stems may be tall and white like big wide sweet celery with no strings, or short and green like Asian soup spoons.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/106018/

One nice thing about Bok C hoy and many Asian Brassica greens: you can eat tghem at ANY stage and cook them ANY way:

seed sprouts
microgreens raw in salad
baby leaves in salad
sliced stems in salad (I like to crunch stems raw, even old stems! But younger is sweeter and more tender)
medium-size stems and leaves steamed like turnip greens
medium-size or large stems and leaves boiled in soup
medium and large stems and leaves stir-fried or sauteed.

* Romain lettuice is also called "cos" or Lactuca sativa L. var. longifolia". Tall, barrel-like lettuce.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 4:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America