Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Well I survived my day at “computer school” yesterday and didn’t get the cane once. I now have a good idea of the basic operation about setting up a “Power Point” presentation and I imagine I will pick up how to use the many other functions of the programme as I go along, so all in all a day not wasted as I thought it would have been.

Shirley – First up a bit more info about the Bill. ‘Foster’s Striate’ which I didn’t know until a friend pointed it out to me. It was previously known as Bill. pyramidalis var. striata until the name was changed to ‘Foster’s striate’. Derek Butcher explains all about it in the BCR and ends the article with: (‘Foster’s Striate’ This replaces the old Billbergia pyramidalis var. striata). If you want to read the whole history about it go to: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=BILLBERGIA&i...

You’re more than welcome to a copy of the booklet but you need to send me a D-Mail with your Email address and as soon as I can get to a computer with email I’ll send it to you.

As you say with your Carcharodon ‘Tiger’ (or as it’s now called 'Skotak’s Tiger’ see: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&i...) it needs more light. I have mine growing in the open and only move it away from summer sun from 12.00 noon to 2.00pm during the hot summer months. I find that any less light than that it reverts to green with the darker markings and loses that beautiful tiger colouring.

Karen – I couldn’t agree more with you about dogs, I got my first one when I was three and have always had one ever since. I dare say I’ll be getting another one soon, but not just yet. I hope you’re keeping warm and your plants are all doing well in this cooler time of the year.

Thank’s for the pic of the NOID, I suspected it was either a Vriesea or a Guzmania and it obviously is a Guzzie.

Mike – That’s a great specimen of Johannis ‘De Rolf’, it’s certainly a beautiful plant. What is the name of the Neo. below it in the bottom left corner? Neo ‘First Prize’ I haven’t seen before around here either and that’s another one to add to my never ending “Wish List”.

Isn’t the albino Ensign beautiful? What a pity it doesn’t have just a little bit of green so you could develop a new cultivar. I don’t know much about genetics but I’m sure I read somewhere that they have to have a bit of visible green colouring to survive when removed from the mother plant. So I guess you just have to take lots of pic’s from every angle including underneath the leaves as well and just enjoy it while you can. Also thanks for the tip on growing Ensign. First I want to get a couple of plants that are from a different source than where I previously got them and I’ll try mounting one on a tree and with the other I’ll try Sue's way with the coir. I had given this some thought previously as I have had great success with other Aechmeas growing in coir chunks in undersized pots and hanging up.

Colleen – I don’t think I’d like to have a “pea super” down here. It’s bad enough when we sometimes get the ocean fogs. It’s really very “eerie” and everything seems so quiet and muffled and we can only see the tops of the Norfolk Island Pines above it in the next street; a most unnatural feeling.

I must say that bloke called “Nev” has been a bit slack in sending plants lately, and it’s just not you Colleen. I’ve just have a lot of other things of a higher priority to attend to at present but I will get around to sending them (and besides you don’t want them down there yet while it’s still so cold anyway).

Sue – You say you think Ensign may be a bit “cold tender” and you’re absolutely right as I know for a fact that the cold marks it down here unless it’s under cover, so I don’t know how Colleen would go as she gets colder weather than I. I must say you did well with your $10 purchase of Hallelujah. It’s one of the all time great Bill’s and you never have any trouble selling it when it’s grown properly.

I can’t help you with a name for your little Neo. But it’s certainly and “eye catcher” both in shape and colour.

A few pic's to finish with: 1st Bill. 'Curly Top', 2nd Neo. Aussie Dream 'Glorious', 3rd Neo. 'Lovely Lady', 4th. Neo (Sarmentosa x Cracker Jack) and 5th Neo 'Fairy Dust'

That’s about it for now, all the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America