Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromalong picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromalong

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MAY & June 2012
bromalong wrote:
Hi everyone, Sue the little Neo is one of Margaret Patersonís Neo Jacqui (Sue I read about Leisa passing in an back issue of BS.Q and my blood ran cold it was a big shock and when I seen your post about the brom garden you started with her plants I was quite touched, and think it is most fitting. You are a nice person! In the next couple of months or so I believe that I will be driving passed on my way to the gong and was wondering if its right to contribute some of my own plants?)
Shirley you are on the right track about the lack of pigment in the albo Ensign as for the first pup being the only good one, not to sure about that! I find as they pup push the fertilizer into them (I would normally preach a very soft approach with fert on
that sort of Aechmea) as for growing tips gee thatís a hard one everyoneís growing environment is unique /potting mix, light, water, air movement, temperature and the list only gets bigger. So I think itís best to stick to basics, look at the root system mostly hold fast not a great feeder system so potting mix if pot grown must be of the courser type and free draining with a PH around 6.5 fill the pot to the top and plant shallow (with other types of Broms its best to leave 15% or so free board between the mix and the top rim of the pot) they need plenty of and light and donít mind a weak solution of foliage fert (Iím a great lover of condys crystals one of the reasons I use condys is because of the Potassium/ Potassium is a key nutrient in the plants tolerance to stresses such as cold/hot temperatures, drought, wear and pest problems. Potassium acts as catalysts for many of the enzymatic processes in the plant that are necessary for plant growth to take place.) How much do you use? I turn the water a dark pink. It is also an exhalent biocide; Iíve rated on long enough about that for now.
Nev Iíve seen you on some of the other forums and had intended contacting you. As I intend to be down your way in a couple of months, and wouldnít mind seeing what grows around your part of the world. I think you know a mate of mine Pat W.He lives only a 10 Ks from me. As for the plant in the bottom left its one of my seedlings neoís not named. As for playing around with the alba ensign they come along from time to time the best Iíve done is two years before I discarded it It was white with an under tone of pink so now Iím going to leave it hook up to mum but I donít hold much hope.
Karen Iím one of the people that too much for N Groucho I couldnít wait either.
Colleen itís a little cold up here as well but not as cold or wet as down your way hope it warms up for you Cheers Mike

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America