Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: scarletbean picture (Bees Please)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright scarletbean

In reply to: Bees Please

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Bees Please
scarletbean wrote:
I have always wanted to keep honeybees, but i am afraid of the sting, and as HBNC stated, there are not enough food sources in my area for them to really thrive.
I get out in my little back yard garden pretty early each morning, and i must say that watching the bees at work is mesmerizing. Now that the squashes and pumpkins are flowering, I see several types of bees at them. It is funny to see them circle the huge flower, land and work the stamen/pistil(?). Many of them take a short break,just sitting still inside the bloom for several moments...then emerge all dusted in gold. It never fails to make me laugh as the bee flies off all lazy and pollen-drunk to the next job on her route.
Talk about dedication, I read that a bee will wear out her wings before her life expectancy is reached. Sadly There is no bee retirement plan..the same source also says that when she can no longer do her job, the worker bee is denied entrance to the hive, and she just dies. Aahh well, that's nature.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America