Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Self-contained Box Gardens: PeteB7 picture (New Ebucket thread (we continue) PART III)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright PeteB7

In reply to: New Ebucket thread (we continue) PART III

Forum: Self-contained Box Gardens

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of New Ebucket thread (we continue) PART III
PeteB7 wrote:
I've not done any gardening since I was a child helping my parents but I've been wanting to grow tomatoes for about 25 years now and decided to try the Ebuckets. I got two 5 gal buckets at home depot and all they had in the paint department were cloudy white translucent type with large black lettering. I should have looked around for a better color but at the moment I decided to get a can of textured spray paint. This paint did not cover well so I found some old tan, and gold left over spray cans to use as primer. It took 2 more cans of the textured to cover them well and I'd probably start with a better color base or just get a better color bucket - see attached picture. I used grey central vac pipe for the watering pipe since I had some and I think it looks a bit better with the thin wall and less obvious color. The colander that I used had to be cut down a lot and was not very strong in the end, so I put about a 4" leftover plastic pot in upside down with holes drilled in it to provide more support - it was just the right height. The colander I used had holes that I think are too big, but we'll see how it goes.

I purchased 2 Bonnie tomato plants in roughly 6" pots and should have looked at the variety, they are Black Prince variety. I wanted some Basil also and also got 2 Bonnie pots. They look crowded, and I'll probably do cherry tomatoes next year since I use more of them. It is very hot here in the North East but you never know when it will snap back much colder. I have no experience and am open to suggestions about growing them.

Thanks for the great ideas and all the info!
Pete B.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 5:47 PM

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 5:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America