Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Self-contained Box Gardens: PeteB7 picture (New Ebucket thread (we continue) PART III)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright PeteB7

In reply to: New Ebucket thread (we continue) PART III

Forum: Self-contained Box Gardens

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of New Ebucket thread (we continue) PART III
PeteB7 wrote:
There were a few, what I think are Pillbugs (Isopoda?) in the tomato containers when I transplanted them and I'm wondering if I need to worry about them. I read that they like instant mashed potatoes that blow up inside them; should I just sprinkle some on top of the soil or push some down into it? One thing I'm wondering about, I believe that the overflow was intended to be say .5-1" below the top of the colander which should provide some air between the soil and the water; was this the intent to airate the soil? I included a hole in the watering pipe at the air level so that there is a path for more air than just from the overflow tube - a minor detail probably not important, not even sure if this is correct.

I used Fafard potting mix, and the following in each pot:
4 tbsp of garden lime
2 tbsp of Epsom Salt
2 tbsp of Osmocote

I'm not reliable about watering and I have a nice simple faucet timer so I just need a drip kit to set them up.

A few more pictures:

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 6:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America