Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone on the forum,

Just another quick visit again today.

DeadlyNight - Welcome to our friendly little forum. It's always good to see another lucky person discovering the amazing hobby of growing these wonderful plants. I'm sure you'll get many hours of enjoyment from this hobby and learn a lot by participating in this forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions as we all had to start sometime and the friendly people on here are only too happy to try and help.

Shirley – I’ve already had three responses about an ID on your mini (black) Neo. The first came from a well known hybridizer of Neo’s who comes from Hawaii who says: "Possibly Neo. Black Currant, Nev? Here's mine": (See attached pic of Lisa’s plant).

Referring to her picture on that forum, she goes on to say, "Despite the huge picture, it's a small plant (grows in a 5" pot). It's also not a very strong cv., at least for me".

Shirley, the colour isn’t as dark as yours but this could be due to growing conditions or variations in photography such as one pic taken with flash and the other without. Does the size sound similar to yours?

The second response is from a Qld. grower who says, "It could be Little Black. I have one and it is very black".
The third response is from a bromeliad nurseryman in northern N.S.W. who says, " This one is not Neo. Little Black, I think this one is Neo. Royal Flush x Granada."

At this stage I’ve asked if the Qld and NSW responders could post pic’s so we will have to wait and see what eventuates.

Scott – Always nice to hear from people from the other side of the world so please keep in touch. We sometimes heard from another American, a lady called Kristi, but she hasn’t posted for a while, so if you’re watching Kristi, drop in and say “Good Day”.

Shirley – Great looking foliage colour on you ‘Splendens’ and the magnificent inflorescence they produce is an added bonus. It’s a fantastic plant as are its hybrids ‘Splendide’ and ‘Splendriet’; even though they are a bit cold sensitive.

Bree – That’s a great looking batch of babies and you’ve done really well, however don’t be “put off” by the initial slow rate of growth as once they get a bit of size they will start to “take off” especially with a bit of feeding. I grew hieroglyphica from seed and found them much slower than Aechmeas or Neoregelias to start with but the final outcome was well worth waiting for as they are another Vriesea with beautiful patterned foliage.

Finally a big “Hi” to anyone who’s on the sick list and Colleen, I hope your back is on the improve.

Sorry, I still haven't taken any new pic's as it’s raining down here so here's some more old pic's of some of my plants. 1st Vr Splendriet, 2nd Neo. concentrica x Painted Lady, 3rd. Neo. 'Black Currant' (See comment above, 4th. Neo ‘Camelot’ and 5th. Neo. ‘Orange Glow’ NOVAR. For those who don’t know it, Neo. ’Orange Glow’ is usually a variegated plant which occasionally will throw a pup without variegations; this is why the addition of NOVAR to the name, meaning that it’s still ‘Orange Glow’ but with NO VARiegation.

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America