Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Watching: ducbucln picture (Daily piccies vol 442)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ducbucln

In reply to: Daily piccies vol 442

Forum: Bird Watching

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Daily piccies vol 442
ducbucln wrote:
Hack, your little hummer sure is skinny but cute. Thanks for finding the video on the Corellas-loved it.

Burn, how lucky you were to find the nesting kestrels! Loved that last photo of the attempted flight.

Chilly, that little wp at the feeder is sweet.

Margaret, outstanding photos of the Corellas. They're so entertaining, I can imagine how much fun they were to photograph.

I need to read up on taking videos too! Hubby helped me pack the camera and tripod to a nearby park on the lake. We found some nesting western grebes and there was lots of action as some tried to protect their nests from others. Keep in mind the nests are built on floating mats of vegetation and one reason lots of eggs aren't hatched is that the eggs are washed off the nest by the waves of passing boats.

The last photo shows 5 abandoned eggs-the parents probably abandoned the nest when they found there wasn't enough bait fish in the area to feed the little ones. In 1990 we had over 70,000 grebes on our lake and this year there are only about 5000-mostly due to the lake of small fish.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America