Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Watching: nutsaboutnature picture (Daily piccies vol 442)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nutsaboutnature

In reply to: Daily piccies vol 442

Forum: Bird Watching

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Daily piccies vol 442
nutsaboutnature wrote:
Love the pics, Hack!

I find in my yard that most of the non-aggresssive birds are happy to share a feeder. We commonly see Cardinals, House Finches and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at one feeder...sometimes even more varieties. Most of the birds, though not all, will avoid the Blackbirds, including the Red-winged, unless there's food spread over a large area on the ground.

If you want to draw more Mourning Doves to your feeders, try a little Safflower seed in a tray-type feeder. They absolutely love it! Most of the time our Mourning Doves stay on the ground to feed, but it doesn't take long for them to discover the Safflower seed.

Safflower is kind of expensive, but I use it in small quantities once the Blackbirds arrive since it gives the more timid birds a place to eat without being bothered. The Blackbirds can't crack the hard shells so they leave it alone. Some birds may take a while to start eating it, but once they do, they'll go there regularly since the fatty seed is highly nutritious.

Here's a few pics from my yard and one from the nearby Fox River.

1) Red-winged Blackbird female at the river

2) Young Downy Woodpecker

3) Young Cardinal

4) Goldfinch male

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America