Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: DroughtTolerant picture (CLOSED: Unidentified egg fungus goo clear white not mushroom)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DroughtTolerant

Subject: CLOSED: Unidentified egg fungus goo clear white not mushroom

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: Unidentified egg fungus goo clear white not mushroom
DroughtTolerant wrote:
What is this??? It is the weirdest thing! Some kind of fungus? Usually I am pretty good at researching answers myself, but this is harder, not knowing what words to search for. I found thing in my front yard - in Southern Calif, about 6 miles from the coast, slightly south of Los Angeles. It was mostly underground, with just a white knob visible at ground level. No stem, no gills.

At first I thought it was some ordinary mushroom, but no way! This is filled with clear GOO! Could it be from outer space? Is it a plant, egg, or other being? What the heck is this? (I washed my hands after touching it, just in case) :-)

Small skinny root at bottom, white ball, some brown markings on one side. I don't remember which way the browned side was facing when I picked it up. (Sunburn?) Sort of looks like a pear shaped egg. About 1 inch tall,top to bottom. No major smell. The skin is sort of tough and flexible. But it was cracked when I noticed it (or maybe because I grabbed it), which is how I noticed the strange clear gelatin goo, with white jelly and a brownish, greyish dark center. Aakk! =:-0

I've seen these things only a couple of times before, and even after searching everywhere, I still don't know what it is. I already searched Daves Garden for "fungus" and looked at 14 pages of results, but maybe what I found is rare? A helpful person linked to the WMMA Mushroom Key, but they didn't have a photo of this gooey filled weirdness.
http://www.fungaljungal.org/key/key.html

Maybe I already killed it by poking it open, but because I'm curious, I put it into a small pot of compost after taking the photos. Please take a look at the 5 photos I posted today (all of the same one thing) and tell me if you know what this is. It was growing by itself, just the one.
Thanks!
Dave Nathanson

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 9:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America