Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

It’s good to see a lot of the regulars posting once again and I’m really enjoying all of the pictures.

Colleen – Pleased to hear you back is finally on the mend at last and at least you are now able to get out and around your plants, and as you say, it’s great that the brom’s can look after themselves when we’re not well.
I like the group pic’s of your Vrieseas, what’s the name of the plant on the left of Vr. Megan it’s quite nicely coloured?

Breeindy – That’s a nice lot of pic’s you’ve posted and I tried to send you a D-Mail to say which ones I would like to swap but got a message saying “due to the amount of “spam” being sent I would have to wait another 24 hours”. However I would be interested in swapping ‘Ring Leader’, ‘Stars and Bars’, Decora, Concentrica x ‘Heart’s Music’ and ‘Old Love Letters’. If you send me an email I can send you up my swap list.

Shirley - Nice pic’s of your “Kiwis”; there are some nice plants in that lot. I bought the same trio when they first became available but have found that the Kiwi ‘Cream’ is a bit “touchy” to grow down here.

The other two grow like weeds for me but I almost lost the Kiwi ‘Cream’. It put up a flower spike with about five flowers on it and more or less straight after all the leaves started dying. I had written it off and put it in an area of the garden with some old Neo “mums” and when I saw it again some months later it had a pup, so here’s hoping it does better this time around. I have heard from other growers that it can be a bit “fussy” with its requirements and does need lots of space and good air circulation so maybe my plant could have been a victim of overcrowding on the bench, because at that stage I was short of space.

Wendy – Thanks for the “welcome back” and it’s good to see you back and posting again. I don’t visit Face Book any more as I found it a bit boring and more of a “gossip column” than a brom site, but then that’s just my opinion and I know others who can’t live without it; all I can say is they lead pretty sad lives. Both times my computer crashed with viruses they were traced back to Face Book so now I’m staying well clear. I’m still getting email reminders that there is info I would be interested in, but I’m not willing to risk another “crash”. I do miss my brom friends though, but I don’t miss the gossip and sometimes “bitchiness”.

I’m glad to hear you are looking after your friend with the broken hip, it gives you a nice feeling when you help someone doesn’t it? Every time I pick up the news paper these days there’s always someone new who’s a “hero”. I personally think it’s the people like you and Johnny and thousands like you who are helping others that are the heroes, but they never seem to even get a mention because all the work they do is behind the scenes.
Sorry to hear Johnny has been unwell, these rotten flu bugs can be hard to shake even without a weakened immune system. I let my doctor talk me into “Flu Vax” this year and have been coughing and generally feeling “rotten” ever since and that’s five weeks ago and I’m now asking myself, is it really worth it?

Wendy, you mention Nid ‘Tapestry’, I don’t know that one and have never seen it nor can I find it on the BCR or the FCBS site, do you have a pic you could post?
They’re nice Crypts; I especially like the markings on the second one, very eye catching.

Now for a few pic’s to finish with. The other day I posted a pic of Nid Ruby Lee for Shirley, that old pic didn’t really do the plant justice so here’s a better one, second is Neo. ‘Sarmentosa’ x ‘Cracker Jack’, 3rd is Neo. ‘Midnight Moment’, 4th is a Neo ‘Thunderbid x Self seedling just starting to colour up and 5th is Neo ‘Watsonia’ which unfortunately was the victim of a falling twig from the Peppercorn Tree and as they used to say in the cartoons years ago, “That’s all folk”.

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America