Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: perke_patch picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone.
Karen the crypt in the 4th pic (pink outline) is marion oppenheimer. I have 2 forms of that one a small and a larger form.
Shirley if you want to try growing from seed I have some from aechmea tillandsiodies. it is a grassy type plant that is a fast grower. we have a good clump now and there always seems to be one of them flowering at all times. I think from the day I got it I have been collecting seed from it. I could break the clump up but I've put down 2 lots of seed now in a tray of 1inch seedling squares. I'll just pot up each square as is instead of thinning out 1x1. the way they are growing I think they will be full sized in a year. Emily is even growing some. she collects the purple seed pods and even squeezes them into the sieve and puts them in the sun to dry out. she knows exactly what to do. we found the sieve full of seed after she'd gone. lucky she left a little pile of the outer shells so I knew what they were. anyhow let me know if you want to try some.
Colleen I'm glad your back is getting better now. They can be so unpredictable can't they? the most simple movement and you can drop to the floor unable to move. you know vacuuming is the hardest task on backs? that's what I was told when I did my back. the physio showed me how to do that job with the least amount of pressure on the back. you have to bend the knees and move the body back and forth from the knees not from the hips. easier not to do it so maybe a job for the boys LOL. I'd imagine making the bed is another hard one too.
I'm into the pitcairnias now. for such a plain looking grassy plant they can have some stunning infloresences that last and last. good showy plant. I've just placed an order for 46 packets of seed tonight. some are for Jen and some for Andrew but at least half are pitcairnias for me. I'm hooked. So between tillandsias, cryptanthus and now pitcairnias I'm pretty busy although not much to do for any of those really. they can be left to clump up.
Anyhow time for bed once again.
Night all
Wendy
Pics are some new additions to the billbergias 1 is medowie gift and 2 satin supreme. 3. dark ladd

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America