Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Hello bromaholics.
What a gorgeous day! Thats the only reason I haven't been in, just too busy enjoying the sunshine in the garden.
Sorry shirley, i didn't even realise you hadn't spelled tarantula correctly. I knew exactly who you meant though. I haven't looked at the registry for a long time. I wonder where it comes from? Yes, i am serious about mulch. Actually, i just bin the broms that stay a bronzy green. i grow them fairly hard, so if they are going to colour, I should have seen something by now, but on the advice of a wise man, I am hanging onto a few seedlings to see what the pups are like,as apparently they can be slightly different, and hopefully an improvement. I used to keep all my prunings to propagate from too, and hence having plant sales, but i am alot more selective now, as somethings don't sell well, and it gets expensive and time consuming looking after too many of something, for too long.
Gee Karen, you just don't get a break eh? I hope you manage to keep your food down, and that the swelling goes and takes the wrinkles with it! heh heh. get well soon and take care of yourself!
Hi Mike, sounds like you are busy, busy too? Our temps are similar to yours. 7 this morning and 21 through the day, which is lovely if you find a protected spot. I went to an undercover market this morning and the wind was howling through there, it was freezing. then i went to the open air one at the beach, not a breath of wind and gloriously warm. No, I didn't buy plants. I got honey, avocados and a couple of books. We will forgive you for not being in as much, just as long as you always post stunning photos as you do. I guess Alc. 'Tarawera' is a Kiwi hybrid? Tarawera being a place of volcanic activity over there. Put me on the list after Wendy. I did get seed for Alc. 'Red Ensign' another Kiwi hybrid, but they all deteriorated after germination, along with another batch of kiwi seed. I'm suss that they may have been treated?
Wendy, I put down seed from a variegated Edmundoa lindenii also, and they are huge. Of course, none are variegated and hopefully some will flower soon so i can move them on to make more room. I hope your next sale is a nice warm balmy day! And when those vriesea gigantea seedlings get too big, just send them down here for safe keeping eh?
Well, it looks like the sun is just about to drop behind the trees, and a cool breeze is picking up, so time to head indoors and close up the house for the evening. I noticed my time on Dg is set wrong too, and must still be daylight savings time, so I'm an hour ahead I think?
talk again tomorrow probably.
Sue
pic one is Neoregelia 'Turn About'
Pic two is Neo. 'Break Of day' in a clump

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America