Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: springer99 picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright springer99

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
springer99 wrote:
hi everyone,
love all the photos and the info, I have never tested the PH of my mikx...hmmmm but then we don't use pine bark.... but still it would be interesting to check what it is. Thanks for the info Mike.
Yeah I'll join the que on that Alc Tarawera too, lol. Hmmmm can I ask, do you happen to know where I could buy one or are they quite rare over here? I just looked it up in the registry and wow, it really grows into an awesome Alc doesn't it? Very nice.

Ok before I forget, will anyone be interested in a few Werauhia sanguinolenta Rubra seeds in the not too distant future? If you are, let me know as mine has flowered and is setting seed.

I am always chasing seed, I would love to get hold of some nice Foliage Vriesea seed if anyone has any to spare/sell. Also Alc seed, and... I am just trying my hand at Tillandsia seed too, quite different to grow. I have never been to interested in Tills, but have found a little bit of an interest in them just lately, probably cause they take up so little space, lol. I got my first fairly big one the other week, well not huge, but one of them itty bitty teeny weeny ones, lol. It was given to me by another brom grower who doesn't know what it's called, but it came as an old flowered mum with a small pup growing out the side, the mum is about a foot tall and one of those stiff types of Tills. So anyway I've had it for a couple of months and have the pup off it now, just need to mount it on a piece of timber. Haven't thrown the mum in case she manages another pup, but I don't know if Tills do that or not, lol. Plus I'm not sure if the flower might set a bit of seed or if it's well beyond that, no idea.

Nev all my seeds from you are doing so very well, I have had a bit of a hit and miss learning curve with seed growing, I have tried a few different methods, killed a lot of seeds/seedlings and learned a lot. All those poor vrieseas I killed off in the process, dohhh! But I have my method that works best so far for me, so I'm not mucking with it anymore! LOL

I wanted to share a photo of a seedling that I got from Nev quite a while ago. He was so kind as to send me up some little seedlings, sadly a few of them died (sorry Nev) but I have done quite well with the rest. One in particular was struggling, lagging behind the rest and I thought, ohhh nooo, I'm going to loose another one. So I looked after it carefully and kind of babied that one along. Low and behold it started to show a bit of variegation... and then a bit more and a now it's just a stunning wee thing. Still just a little fella and lagging behind, as you would expect with a Variegate, but it's healthy and I think it's just the cutest thing.
My only question Nev, is what does Neo Thunderbird look like? No photo in the registry, and no one seems to have one to show me, lol. I have no idea what this little baby will grow up to look like, but I think it is just fantastic.
Nev..... Long live the hybridiser!!!!!
Also Wendy, you sent me some little seedlings too when I first started into seeds too, and they are looking great as well, much further advanced than any other seedlings I have as they were quite big when you sent them, well you know, inch leaf was a couple of inches long and of that size to have their own pots. They now have leaves that resemble neos and not green grass, lol. Many thanks to you as well, it is wonderful watching them grow and change shape. I'll have to get some photos of them too.
But for now, here is Nev's little wonder... I think it's just too cool.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America