Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Yes it’s me, back again. I’ve once more had computer troubles this time it was with Windows; I just couldn’t open it and the message said it had been closed to protect my computer. It also gave a couple of options I could try, but I don’t know how I was supposed to try them when I couldn’t even open it. Finally the message said that if the problem couldn’t be solved I should consult a technician or words to that effect. So off to the "computer doctor" I went, I told him what it was doing and he said he didn’t think it was too serious and even if he had to clean any viruses, take everything off, reinstall windows and re-load everything it would be less than $100 dollars.

Well I rang yesterday to find out the good and the bad news and was told the hard drive was “stuffed”. He said he could put in a second hand hard drive which was guaranteed for 12 months and the cost would be $99 as he had originally told me he would fix it for under $100 or he could put in a new hard drive for a couple of hundred more and that would only be guaranteed for twelve months also. The third option was to buy a new computer which as far as I’m concerned is financially definitely not an option, so I’ve taken a chance and gone for the second hand one.

I’m still using my wife’s computer so I’ll keep this brief as I have a lot of cleaning up to do today after the gale force winds we copped yesterday. Pots all over the yard and I don’t know what else as I haven’t been out yet this morning, but I know there were trees down in the street and a couple of homes in the area lost roofs, so it was a bit more than a westerly breeze, which hopefully is now starting to abate.

I’ve just quickly browsed the recent posts and I must congratulate everyone on all the great pic’s. There is just one comment I’d like to make and that is about a couple of plants firstly Shirley’s Neo. ‘Heart’s Music’ x ‘Grace Darling’ and secondly Breeindy’s Neo concentrica x ‘Heart’s Music’. All I would like to say is that there are many “radial red” plants now doing the circuit which are so very similar, that it’s hard to tell the difference between them; plants such as Neo.‘Stripey’, Neo ‘Pin Stripe’, Neo Rosea Striata, Neo. Rosa Delight, Neo. Rosa Deluxe, and I have a number of half grown seedlings which are from Neo. Painted Lady x Rosea Striata which all look similar as well. (I’ll take some pic’s to post when the wind stops).

Regarding Breeindy’s question about the blotches on her plant,some of these plants which have concentrica in the breeding often have these blotches as do some plants of concentrica. Also it often occurs with Rosea Striata, and I expect it will also happen with some of the plants from that line of breeding. It seems to be more pronounced when these plants are grown under strong light and to a lesser degree when grown in low light. I don’t think it’s a fault but an heredity thing from the parents, especially if Neo. concentrica is in the breedling line somewhere in the past.

I’d just like to finish with a big “Get Well Soon” to anyone who is still sick, and to post a few pic’s of some of these Neo. “look-a- likes”, Firstly Neo ‘Rosea Striata’ grown in low light, Second a Rosea Striata "pup" grown in strong light and finally a cross of mine which is Neo. Bea Hanson x Rosea Striata, grown in medium/strong light.

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America