Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: DroughtTolerant picture (CLOSED: Unidentified egg fungus goo clear white not mushroom)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DroughtTolerant

In reply to: CLOSED: Unidentified egg fungus goo clear white not mushroom

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: Unidentified egg fungus goo clear white not mushroom
DroughtTolerant wrote:
I have new photos! Turns out the trick is you have to get out there and look in the morning. And it seems to me that these things only last a very short while, maybe just 1 morning.
Oh, about that "egg" I originally found... It totally dried up to almost nothing by the end of that 1st day. The goo b gone!

Here are some photos I took today showing what interesting thing grew out of those "eggs". It was about 9:20 am, and this is not far from Los Angeles, Southern California. For size, that is a nickle in the photos. (except for the photo with the flies on it, that was taken after 1pm)

These things must almost explode upwards quickly and with force, because I noticed a dirt chunk was usually broken up next to some of these plants.

I had to get really close to notice it, but there is a bit of a fresh poop smell, light yet sharp & yukky. The flies are all over it. Smell was something that was often referred to as a clue to the identity.

So it does appear to be a STINKHORN of some kind. It's just so interesting!!!
Thanks very much everybody for your help.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America