Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: cr0ak picture (A black juvie cardinal?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cr0ak

Subject: A black juvie cardinal?

Forum: Bird Identification

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of A black juvie cardinal?
cr0ak wrote:
Please see this thread for explanation:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274859/

But here's a pic.

I apologize for the poor quality of the photo. It was difficult to get a shot of these two together. The first time I saw them the juvie was harassing the male in my nectarine tree. Then they went onto the ground, but I didn't have my camera outside. Since then, I've seen them almost on a daily basis (and I've been keeping my camera outside where I normally sit), but the juvie has been staying either in my vitex shrub (near the feeder) or up in our oak tree. Arrgh!

It's also hard to tell when they're around because I have numerous cardinals coming to my feeder. At least four males (who chase other males and females away). Of course, the "chipping" sound that they make are a clue that there are cardinals around, but I'd have to sit outside all day long just to attempt to get photos of these two.

So... has anyone ever heard of a black (or *very* dark brown) juvenile cardinal?

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America