Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: pirl picture (Any ideas how I can use this old birdbath in the garden?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Any ideas how I can use this old birdbath in the garden?

Forum: Trash to Treasure

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Any ideas how I can use this old birdbath in the garden?
pirl wrote:
Thanks, Samigal. I love the setting, too.

Chrissy - you made it possible so my thanks to you.

Thanks, Belle and Jan. I love it there.

Now for you, JD! You are such a tease!

Yes, it was a quick solution thanks to Chrissy and Gingerlily. I kept thinking of putting something on top of it, not just moving it. Odd that you mention Houttuynia, a little known plant except for this property! Perhaps a bowl of plastic Houttuynia would work.

When I used the dolly to move the birdbath it went more smoothly than if I had tried to lug it 50 feet. I got it to the spot and moved it a few times before it looked okay but then wanted it farther into the shrub but couldn't quite do it. There was a clump of Houttuynia under it! NO grins about it.

For the sake of sanity, if anyone who reads this post gets tempted to buy Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon', probably the most beautiful weed I've ever seen, just don't do it. Here it's horribly invasive and JD was a huge help to me in eradicating it but it took 8 and 12 hour days (for many months) of digging a foot deep, scraping the bottom of big old pine roots, working with my head underground and assuming odd positions.

Here's the Plant Files page on it: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2164/

I especially enjoyed the comment by Jim -

On May 11, 2012, jimtomczak from Mobile, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I was given this plant at a nursery as a freeby with the other plants for my yard. I told a very wise woman named Pirl,(N.Y.) I was puttin it in one of my flower beds. She did not let me go until I told her It was on its way to a landfill. Not the first time she has saved this novice. Hope it isn't the last. She sent pic's of complete beds she dug up and was still praying that It wouldn't pop up again. I lit a candle at St. Judes for her. JIMT. Mobile Al.

Thanks, everyone, for the help and JD for his humor.

Here's a photo that show the evil plant at the lower left corner. I told you it's beautiful!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America