Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: kljflower picture (Squash bug resistant veggies?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kljflower

Subject: Squash bug resistant veggies?

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Squash bug resistant veggies?
kljflower wrote:
I gave up on growing summer squash at home due to the squash vine borers mentioned in a recent post. When I had an opportunity to try them again in a community garden, they started off beautifully but within a month weeks were reduced to NOTHING by a different squash beast!!!! Not sure of the scientific name - but I've heard them just called squash bugs. The juveniles are gray and the adults are darker. I tried killing as many as I could by hand but there were way too many. We are only supposed to use organic controls in the gardens and while I was trying to figure out what to use, those blasted things took over. I'm almost afraid to go see the garden now - I'm concerned about my pepper plants and tomatoes. I did have an early warning - first pic below - July 13th - eggs on pepper plant leaf next to squash. The second image has the young squash bugs - you might have to zoom in - that was taken August 13th. They have such voracious appetites it is incredible to me how fast they can destroy. Ugh - I really HATE this things. Is there a safe spray to control them? I'm thinking that unless you can spray at the first sight of them, it's a lost cause. Any "resistant" veggies? Thanks a bunch!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America