Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: warriorswisdomkathy picture (Can iris rhizomes be cut?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Can iris rhizomes be cut?

Forum: Beginner Flowers

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Can iris rhizomes be cut?
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
It's definately not too late on Iris being transplanted. Just break the rhizhome from the mother as it won't rebloom again...but, after you break off the side shoots(rhizhome), new rhizhomes will form on mama (so in fact they can be replanted to form new plants)....I have even seen mamas cut down the middle and replanted with one side shoot. Also realize if they are not divided every few years they will cease to bloom..... And it's NOT too late for transplanting or dividing Iris..... I have been doing so since May....recieving many in trades since May (in fact I recieved two boxes today with Iris in them, 1 as a trade here at Dave's and the other is from an Iris seller on e-bay (normal cut off time for most of the sellers is September. I also have been sending Iris all over the country from my own garden, some shipped 3 days ago. If you want to pot them up, divide and place 1 fan per 1 gallon pot. Realize they are in the process of putting on new roots at this time of the year and those from earlier in the season are dying off and browning. Personally I keep them on the plant as they help to anchor in the pot til new roots develop. Iris are typically considered as drought tolerant plants once established, and can handle it on the rather dry side. Your in Washington state, rain Heaven, I'ld give'm good drainage as soggy conditions can cause rot, mixing in some sand also if necessary. If they aren't grown in full sun give'm atleast 6 hours of sun or you may find your Iris won't bloom. Aren't you just about to your rainy season? Like I say drainage is important. Personally I have 200 german Iris sitting in pots waiting to go in the ground...Once they are potted they could live in those 1 gallon pots til next spring easily, after that they might get a bit crowed, lol.....but can even bloom in those pots, not a problem.. I personally mix my own potting soil,(mix peatmoss and peralite if you decide to do the same or just buy premixed)....Don't be scared....Iris are very tough and forgiving plants and reward you with beauty and fragrance in spring. Just remember too crowed or too deep they won't bloom or may have diminished bloom. I have some from my sister's garden and am glad as she has passed and now every spring they are there to remind me of her and silently I am thankful I got some starts from her........By the way I have hundreds of iris, most got divided and replanted last fall. I have found it's one plant the deer have never bothered.....If you need more localized planting info. go to your phone book, govmnt pages---look for your county extention office, they are there to answer questions gladly to new gardeners in every county in this nation..their goal is teaching the public.
Pix 1 this is my Iris, an heirloom from my sister's garden, smells like grape pop and is wonderful, Iris palida. And don't fret if they don't bloom next season, tho many could, they definately will the following year. I will try to get some other pix tomorrow for you....Also if needing pots to put them in some nurseries recycle pots just ask if they have any used pots, I just picked up a hundred or so this afternoon, and have even gotten some used pots from the big box stores as people have returned them for recycling also...

I will dig a plant take pix of the process for you.....Later, Kathy..

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America