Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: blomma picture (Soaking seeds)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright blomma

In reply to: Soaking seeds

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Soaking seeds
blomma wrote:
teddy, I used to grow them and my daughter still does. To be sure we are talking about the same plant I am referring to is Datura cultivars aka moonflower, trumpet flower.

I have grown both yellow, white and purple varieties. Now I prefer to grow irises and daylily in their space since I have a small yard.

All seeds of Datura are erratic to germinate. Can take up to 30 days. I nicked then soaked them overnight in hand hot water to plump them. I then placed them in a damp kitchan paper towel and store in a zip lock bag. Placed the bag in room temperature or top of the fridge where it is warmer. I checked the seeds regularly and when they sprouted I planted them in a container filled with potting soil

Strangly, seeds dropped from the seed pods have no problem germinating in the soil when weather gets warm in the spring. My daughter literally have to weed them out. If you want to sow outside, you can do that also by scattering them on the soil and lightly cover.

Even if you get plants going now, they won't bloom this late in the season. They only bloom with full sun and long daytime hours. When that become shorter, they won't set buds. In my zone that is late August. You can carry them over the winter potted. Store in a cool place to force dormancy.

Below are the ones I have grown. My daughter prefers to grow the white one.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America