Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.
picabo wrote: GrandMothers Old Fashioned F.R.O.G. JAM
Makes about 5 cups
1 quart of fresh Figs
2 cups of Fresh Raspberries
Ĺ cup fresh Orange juice
1 tsp minced Ginger (Start with a piece of Fresh Ginger about the size of your thumb) remove the peel before grating.
I tsp Orange Zest
2 Ĺ cups of white sugar
1 tsp of lemon Juice
1 pouch of liquid pectin
F. Wash the Figs, cut off stems, cut in half and throw in a blender or Food Processor. Pulse to chop well. You can also use a potato masher. Dump blended figs into a large bowl.
R. Mash the Raspberries until crushed but still in lumps. (You can Sieve Ĺ of the Raspberries to remove some of the seeds, I usually donít, I like the seeds.) Add to Figs in bowl.
O. Squeeze the juice from oranges, you will need Ĺ cup juice. Zest the orange peel into long strips (Donít use any of the white part, it taste bitter.) Add juice and zest to the fruit bowl.
G. Grate the peeled Ginger and add to the bowl.
1. Stir fruit mixture to mix well, cover and let sit for about 30 minutes.
2. Add fruit mixture to a large saucepot. Stir in Sugar and lemon Juice. Bring to a Full Boil over High heat. Stir Constantly or it will burn, once it comes to a boil that canít be stirred down add the fruit Pectin and return to a boil for 1 minute.
3. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
5. Ladle into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8Ē from the top. Wipe rims and cover with two piece jar lids. Screw bands on tightly
6. Process in water bath for 10 minutes.