Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Pests and Diseases: SavvyDaze picture (Plumbago issues: Stem mold, Black Spots, Wilt & more...)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SavvyDaze

Subject: Plumbago issues: Stem mold, Black Spots, Wilt & more...

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Plumbago issues: Stem mold, Black Spots, Wilt & more...
SavvyDaze wrote:
I have 9 Imperial Blue Plumbago plants I planted earlier this summer. 7 of them, which are in the backyard 10 to 15 feet apart or more) are having issues. The other 2 in the front and side yard haven't shown any issues yet. All have been thriving for 3 months until recently...Not sure what is going on.

The issues:

(Pic #1 and #2) One Plumbago had this white/grey mold 1/8" thick growing on its main stem from the ground level to about 3 inches above. Also, some leaves in this area had some "sooty" mold on them. Upper leaves looked ok other than a few leaves having some black spots on them. These black spots also appeared on at least 2 other Plumbago within the last few days. Soapy water removed the sooty mold from the leaves and even washed away the stem mold for the most part. I saw remnants of the mold today & decided to take a picture to see if anyone knew the issue and cause. Regarding the black spots on the leaves...it looks as if oil were dripped on them, but I know that has not happened. It also does not come off with soapy water.

(Pic #3) One of the Plumbago that has the wilting issue also had leaves with chew holes and leaves have patched that are almost see through. What critter is causing this? And what should I do to take care of the situation?

(Pic #4) 2 Plumbago plants which are on opposite sides of my backyard have at least 1 branch of leaves that are wilting/dying while the rest of the plant appears to be thriving. What could be causing this? And how would I go about treating it? In this picture, the wilting is on the right side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America