Photo by Melody

Garden Pests and Diseases: nonconformist7 picture (Medlar (Mespilus germanica) Tree Leaf Edges Turning Brown)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nonconformist7

Subject: Medlar (Mespilus germanica) Tree Leaf Edges Turning Brown

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Medlar (Mespilus germanica) Tree Leaf Edges Turning Brown
nonconformist7 wrote:
I want to get a second opinion on my Medlar tree. I planted it this Spring. It was shipped very nicely to me, and when it arrived it was still damp, and nice and green. I put it in a shaded area to get it used to being in the sun, and then moved it to half&half, and eventually full sun. I then planted it, and have been watering it regularly. After a month or so, the edges of the leaves began to turn brown. I have sprayed a homemade herbicide/fungicide mix on it several times (which worked with my Peach tree leaves that were yellowing and dropping) but it doesn't seem to have done anything to help the Medlar.

I found a website that says these trees can get Hawthorn Leaf Spot (http://informedfarmers.com/medlar/). However my tree is out in the middle of an open space, and gets plenty of sun to dry the foliage after the rain, and when I water it is at the base. It could be this, but I don't know enough about it to be certain, and so I have explored other causes.

I am beginning to think that the tree is not getting enough water, and I know that I'm watering it plenty, so I'm assuming that the roots are somehow constricted. I could be WAY off, which is why I wanted to post on here and get another opinion first. If it looks like this is the case I want to get it dug up and remedied, so that it can thrive next Spring. If that isn't the problem then I in no way want to disturb it if I don't have to. I'm still learning, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America