Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Pests and Diseases: nonconformist7 picture (Medlar (Mespilus germanica) Tree Leaf Edges Turning Brown)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nonconformist7

Subject: Medlar (Mespilus germanica) Tree Leaf Edges Turning Brown

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Medlar (Mespilus germanica) Tree Leaf Edges Turning Brown
nonconformist7 wrote:
I want to get a second opinion on my Medlar tree. I planted it this Spring. It was shipped very nicely to me, and when it arrived it was still damp, and nice and green. I put it in a shaded area to get it used to being in the sun, and then moved it to half&half, and eventually full sun. I then planted it, and have been watering it regularly. After a month or so, the edges of the leaves began to turn brown. I have sprayed a homemade herbicide/fungicide mix on it several times (which worked with my Peach tree leaves that were yellowing and dropping) but it doesn't seem to have done anything to help the Medlar.

I found a website that says these trees can get Hawthorn Leaf Spot (http://informedfarmers.com/medlar/). However my tree is out in the middle of an open space, and gets plenty of sun to dry the foliage after the rain, and when I water it is at the base. It could be this, but I don't know enough about it to be certain, and so I have explored other causes.

I am beginning to think that the tree is not getting enough water, and I know that I'm watering it plenty, so I'm assuming that the roots are somehow constricted. I could be WAY off, which is why I wanted to post on here and get another opinion first. If it looks like this is the case I want to get it dug up and remedied, so that it can thrive next Spring. If that isn't the problem then I in no way want to disturb it if I don't have to. I'm still learning, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America