Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: lindasch100 picture (be very careful what you wish for)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lindasch100

Subject: be very careful what you wish for

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of be very careful what you wish for
lindasch100 wrote:
First time gardener, I wanted tomatoes, cucumbers a few zucchini. But what I really longed for was spaghetti squash. I love it and had stopped buying it when it was $6-8 per squash. I really hoped I would get 3-5 squash. Oh my. I planted some seeds and worried over them. Nothing seemed to happen. So I bought some seedlings. Then the agricultural department at our community college had a plant sale: $1 per plant, even when it was a pack of 6 seedlings. So I bought a six-pack, and planted everything. Fast forward 2 months. Plants were growing, but I couldn't exactly remember where I had put which plants (OK now I know to write it down). I did not know what the developing fruit looked like. I had planted some lemon cucumbers and was excited to have a developing cucumber, but was it? I spent some weeks being very puzzled. Then it began to dawn on me that I was getting some squash. But some of them did not look right. Fast forward. That six-pack I bought at the community college had 5 spaghetti and ONE PUMPKIN! And, as I then learned, they can cross pollinate. My hope for a few spaghetti squash turned into OVER 50, many of them cross-breeds, and one pumpkin!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America