Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: BrianMacker picture (CLOSED: Smooth Yellow False Foxglove?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BrianMacker

Subject: CLOSED: Smooth Yellow False Foxglove?

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of CLOSED: Smooth Yellow False Foxglove?
BrianMacker wrote:
I was in the finger lakes region of New York in June and came across a wildflower that blooms with a yellow trumpet shaped flower. If I remember correctly the trumpet is between 1"-2" long and the flower about 1/2" to 1" wide. I seems to be a perennial because there were dried stems and seeds from the prior season coming off the same plants. It is low and herbacious with woody stems, and about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall. The leaves are paired on opposite sides of the branch, and each pair is 90 degrees from the next. Pairs are about 4-6 inches apart along the stem. The seed pods have two halfs (some have three), and open at the top when dried. The opening puckers open with a hole at the top but it does split down the sides a bit. Looks like the seeds are shaked out by the wind and blow away. I have attached a picture of a leaf, some seeds, and half a seed pod.

This is NOT a vine. It was almost bush like. I think it might be Smooth Yellow False Foxglove.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America