Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Gymgirl picture (Garlic planting time)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gymgirl

In reply to: Garlic planting time

Forum: Beginner Vegetables

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Garlic planting time
Gymgirl wrote:
Hey, Jo-Ann,
Just a word that you should go ahead and order your onions transplants from Dixondale Farms YESTERDAY, as they sometimes run out closer to the planting season.

When I've ordered in the past, they wouldn't deliver to me until after November. When my transplants did arrive, I generally didn't get them in the ground right away, and ended up having to sort through the bunch for the (still) viable bulbs!

Anyway, the first year I set the transplants on my birthday, January 8, 2011, and got nice, full onions for harvesting between July-August. They take that long...I figured if they wouldn't get to me by November, I had time to try and grow my own transplants from seeds!

Last weekend, I sprinkled onion seeds I ordered from Seeds of Change and Henry Fields (first time from both of them). The seedlings popped in about 7 days, and I'm getting wispy little sprigs. I planted in a reclaimed set of dresser drawers I painted, drilled holes in the bottom, and reinforced the particle board by stapling a sheet of hardware cloth (wire screen) across the bottoms. I filled each with a mix of seed starting mix and composted manure.

Here're the trays. Will post pics of the onions later.

There's a wonderful video tutorial by The Bayou Gardener on YouTube. Goggle "planting onions in containers" the Bayou Gardener YouTube, and the video should come right up.

This guy started seeds in an old trough. Twelve weeks later, he had his onion transplants!

Hugs!

Linda

P.S. I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO envy that you guys can buy those lots!!! That is a slick plan by the City to ensure the vacants don't just sit. Pretty smart move.

P.S.S. I'm a native New Orleanian, here in Houston since 1984.

Later, Cher!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America