Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: SavvyDaze picture (Prepping for high winds - Colocasia & Alocasia)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SavvyDaze

In reply to: Prepping for high winds - Colocasia & Alocasia

Forum: Beginner Gardening Questions

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Prepping for high winds - Colocasia & Alocasia
SavvyDaze wrote:
Well, Mother Nature spared us the rain. Here on the southern coast of SC on Lady's Island, we got no rain whatsoever. The Alocasia Mayan Mask did very good in the consistently gusty winds for the last 4 days. No snapped stalks or shredded leaves :-) The younger, newly planted Colocasia Fontanessii got covered by a large plastic pot and is doing great! However, on the other side of the yard, the Colocasia Black Beauty and her babies are not very happy with me right now. Their leaves are quite tattered and sad looking. Actually, they look rather bullet-ridden due to being bombarded by ACORNS from the nearby oak trees during the winds. Before Sandy, I had hoped Colocasia Black Beauty wouldn't die back to the ground in winter, but now, I am hoping they do! LOL

All other plants, shrubs etc. came through just fine...but it was sad watching the wind blow away the Canna flowers petal by petal. But thankfully, a few of their stalks should bloom this week for me to enjoy.

The funny part of it all were the plants I brought inside. For 4 days, I was living in the Amazon rain forest & ate meals next to a 5 foot tall guttating (crying) 4 leaved Alocasia Mayan Mask. LOL I sent my hubby (who is deployed) a picture of my rain forest and he said, "Welcome to the jungle!" LOL It was interesting, to say the least, but it was fun watching leaf #5 develop and unfold.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America