Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: RachieCakes picture (CLOSED: Spider Identification Please - Video Link Provided)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RachieCakes

Subject: CLOSED: Spider Identification Please - Video Link Provided

Forum: Insect and Spider Identification

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: Spider Identification Please - Video Link Provided
RachieCakes wrote:
Hello,

I keep a pet widow named Minka. I usually just feed her any other spiders or insects I find inside the house. This other spider, Alex, was found in my basement.

I put Alex in Minka's jar late one night and when I woke up, they were both still around and seemed to be respecting the space of the other. After watching Alex for a while, I noticed he seemed especially shy. If he sensed movement, a change of light or there was a noise he would curl up and play dead. It would take about 3 minutes for him to become comfortable moving around again. When he unfurled his legs he seemed much bigger than when he was playing dead.

I shot some video of him and Minka and then let him go out near our wood pile. We live in Oregon near Portland.

Does anyone know what kind of spider he is?

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5Dswrd3ek&t=4m19s

Thank you,
Rachel

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America