Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: davidsl88 picture (Simply: How to I save Coleus over winter )

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright davidsl88

In reply to: Simply: How to I save Coleus over winter

Forum: Beginner Flowers

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Simply:  How to I save Coleus over winter
davidsl88 wrote:
Thank you purpleinopp. I think it works so well because these are really big pots. The huge amount of soil with the mulch keep the roots just warm enough. I confess my ignorance of grow zones, but isn't your winter more like my sunroom in winter than the winter outside my door? Would bigger pots with mulch make the difference? Here's a couple pics of the mandevilla, in September when I brought them in and in February. They'd wrapped their vines around everything they could reach by then. I know I should cut them back when I bring them in, but they're always still in bloom. Then all that great green in the middle of winter everytime I go out or come home is just too much... I can't do it... I cut them back about 6 or 7 weeks before they can start going out again. They're slow to come back but will finally start blooming again by the end of June. It's a trade-off. The nasturtium is leggy but still blooming in February and the daisies are coming back after their final 'haircut' of the winter.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America