Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: Havamal picture (Huge Tree Identification)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Havamal

Subject: Huge Tree Identification

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Huge Tree Identification
Havamal wrote:
Hi everyone. I recently moved to Reno, NV and I have a large tree near my house. I'm really curious as to what kind it is. So here's some information and a couple pictures (of the bark and a few branches/leaves):

-Multiple trunks; I'm no expert but because of the proximity and direction the trees are growing from (in 2 clusters of 3, each group fanning outward from a common center point...maybe underground) I'd say it's all one tree? The trunks look identical.

-The trunks are probably about 4-5' in diameter each.

-Not very tall (around 30 feet?) but because it doesn't grow straight up each tree is a bit longer.

-Rough looking bark with deep crevices and alternating long thin leaves with lots of small teeth and short petiole.

-I spent hours looking it up, nothing I found matched exactly...wondering if it's some kind of hybrid? Thought at first it was some kind of Willow or a tree called Narrowleaf Cottonwood. Funny thing is I remember the leaves looking different during the summer. Fuller with more rounded leaves, closer to that of an Elm and even found leaves matching what I remember around its base. Granted, it's autumn and those leaves could have come from half way across town with these winds lately...

Now pictures; two different trunks ( I can get a full shot of all of them tomorrow, it was dark by the time I got outside today) and some leaves (most of which have fallen off...except for one side of one of the trunks, which still seems to have a lot on it).

Any help would be appreciated!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America