Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: SavvyDaze picture (Pebble tray/ Indoor Humidity question)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SavvyDaze

In reply to: Pebble tray/ Indoor Humidity question

Forum: Beginner Gardening Questions

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Pebble tray/ Indoor Humidity question
SavvyDaze wrote:
Blechnum gibbums:

About 3 weeks ago, what was a healthy fern suddenly had some fronds defoliated overnight thanks to some caterpillars! I removed them, but also found teeny tiny babies lurking here and there. I gave it a good bath, sprayed under leaves as well, and then sprayed with dormant oil all over, including in the soil. I haven't seen another caterpillar, or had any fronds chewed upon since Within a week, the remaining healthy, untouched fronds, began to discolor and turned a brownish-grey, which I chalked up to too much dormant oil spray, or being sensitive to it. However, they felt very dry to the touch, but were not brittle. Soil was moist. A week or so went by and new fronds continued to grow, but eventually would turn crispy and die. So, 2 days ago, I noticed that one really green emerging frond began to brown at its tip, so, I gave it a good watering and it seems to be doing ok, and hasn't browned any further. I mist it at least once a day. (I think the problem with this one was a combination of under-watering and reaction to the dormant oil spray).

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America