Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
too funny Trish! It doesn't look as though Lexi minded the tinsel too much! Lucy looks very excited about Xmas. I am very behind with it here, and haven't even done my Xmas cards. Maybe I should fix that today? We get a farm grown tree each year, mainly bcause it smells so nice, and I don't do much decorating these days, as its fairly quiet here at Xmas, mostly. I used to do Xmas light through the garden, and santa hanging from the roof, but not anymore.
I am happy to oblige you with an Orange Blanchettiana pup. Its all the same to me. If you should happen to get any stray pups from C. 'It' in the future, I wouldn't say no to one. Dmail me with your postage details,and I'll sort out a blanchy today and post tomorrow, so you can have one for Xmas. Keep it in the shade this summer and introuce it to sun in the winter, and that should see it acclimatise to full sun without burning.
A. 'JC Superstar' can take quite a bit of sun. I have experimented with alot of Aechmeas, and find that those with colour in the leaves seem quite sun tolerant, but are usually a little bit cold tender, not that that would matter up your way.
Your new plants look very nice, especially the Vrieseas.
Hello Kristi, nice to hear from you. I see your concern for Karen, and have had the same concerns myself, but see the odd comment on FB, ad over in the tea room, so think she is ok? Maybe just too many places to post these days, and it all takes time.
Your collection of Crypts are very colourful. I have a couple but find them a bit finnicky to grow. How have you managed so well?
You ask about the growing seasons, and I have always found that come spring, they begin to show signs of activity, with alot ofAechmeas flowering then, summer sees the Neos begin to flower, and in Winter, near the end, the Billbergias take over. Guzmanias and Vrieseas seem to be from spring to summer. You would be coming into your winter now, yes? How cold does it get where you are?
Nev, winter sees a bit of marking on the big Aechmeas here too, and I kept your large seedlings in the hot house over winter, but next winter they will definitey be too large and will have to cope in the great outdoors. I have a spot that 'I think' might be protected enough, so we shall see. What a shame you have had to dump most of them. I am guilty of binning broms too, as there comes a point when you ask yourself, are they worth anything......to me or anyone else?
I am glad your scald is healing ok. I guess it gives you an insight into anyone suffering more than 1% burns!
That picture of Tillandsia velutina looks right on the money! I see that one in Bunnings from time to time, and never purchase it because I couldn't remember if I had it or not. I got it confused with T. velickiana. Now I will have to go see which one I DID purchase from Bunnings. The one I posted was bought from local grower who doesn't know the names. I love my Tills, and get excited about flowers, mostly because it might mean seed, and I can try and grow them on the trees e.t.c.
Thank you for going to the trouble of finding out the ID, and including the pictures. You're a gem.

I am glad its not just me having the problems with the A. lueddemanniana types then. The first A. 'Rodco' inverta I was given was potted, and it grew into a giant, with the best colouring I have seen amongst the cultivars I have. I might pot up the two remaining plants today and see if the warmer weather will help get them moving. I also have A. 'Alvarez' but it never seems to reach the size or coouring of Rodco
Ian, you are so busy! I think if you should ever sit down too long, those seeds you've collected in your pocket will sprout and grow over you, and everyone will go, 'Wheres Ian?' and then 'I don't know, but look at that lovely clump of Bromeliads' heh heh. I am glad you are obviously getting so much enjoyment from the experience. Your Billbergia collection looks great.
Well, nothing done yesterday, as it was the annual motorcycle toy run, and hubby and I rode with some friends and had a wonderful time, meeting new people and doing something nice for the community. We were stuffed when we got home, so didn't do much except pick up a few fronds and bits of bark e.t.c. and then watered. Of course, it rained overnight, but thats ok.
Hello to anyone looking in. Take a leaf out of Kristis book, and post a comment. It will be lovely to meet new addicts.
Sue
Photo 1 is Alcantarea brasiliana (are you sick of seeing it yet?)
Photo 2 is Alc. 'Silver Plum' looking very silvery.
Photo 3 is mostly about the Orchid, but there are broms too!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America