Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – hasn't the week gone quickly? It'll soon be Christmas....and then Easter ….and then Christmas ….and then Easter, and it just comes around faster and faster.

Shirley – So sorry you're on the “Telstra Turntable” once again, been there, done that. Don't muck around talking to people who obviously don't know what they are doing; demand to speak to the supervisor like my wife did after several hours of phone calls which offered no helpful remedy. The supervisor had it all fixed in about twenty minutes........... Good Luck and hope to see you posting again soon.

Kristi – Great to see you dropping in again, I thought you'd given us away as we haven't heard from you for so long; and nice of you to share pic's of your beautiful Crypt's with us.

I too had wondered what had become of Karen as we haven't heard from her for so long, maybe Wendy can fill us in on what's happening as I thing she lives somewhere nearby I think.

Thanks for the treatment advice for burns, I had heard of that years ago but have never had the need to use it and of course when it happened to me, all I could think of was my ambulance training; get the clothes of quickly because while ever they're on they're acting like a hot poultice; and then lots and lots of cold water. After I had cooled it down though I used a product called “Burn Aid Gel” in which the active ingredient is Melaleuca Oil which comes from one of the many species of our native “Ti Trees” and which has an essential oil with anti-biotic and anti-fungal properties. The results were spectacular, and the pain stopped within a couple of minutes and I know from now on there will always be a tube of this in the medicine cupboard.

You have posted some pic's of truly beautiful coloured Cryptanthus. I especially like the first one I think the colour combination is amazing. Whatever the amount of light you are growing them in must be exactly right as I've never seen such colour in Crypt's in our area. There's another nice one which although to my knowledge isn't available in Australia, you should be able to get easily in your country and it's called Crypt. 'Lisa Vinzant'. See Pic.1 which was originally posted here on Dave's Garden in 2007 by my brom friend Chanin Thurot from Thailand who was the hybridiser.

Finally, all I'd like to say Kristi, is don't leave it so long before you visit us again as it's always good to hear from our brom friends in other countries.

Trish – Wow! An engineer no less; never thought we'd have an engineer growing brom's let alone posting on here with our little group, and it just goes to show what a wide following brom's really have due to their they appeal to many different people from all walks of life and from many different countries world wide.

Trish I did Email you some info. about packing plants for post but I think I sent the wrong file so I've sent the right one to you this morning. Also the offer goes to anyone else on here also, and if you would like a copy of those notes, just D-Mail me your Email address.

You asked Sue whether J.C. Superstar can take a fair bit of sun. I don't know about Sue in her area, but in my experience it will take all the sun it can get when grown beneath 75% beige or 50% green shade cloth. As for direct sun, down here it will take it all except except the very hot summer sun in the middle of the day and early afternoon. It does need the strong light to give it the colour and if grown in low light is just a “nothing plant”.

I also like your pic's as usual, especially the ones of your two very happy and well cared for “doggy mates”

I have to finish now as we're taking our grandsons to the Illawarra Light Railway Museum today for some steam train rides to let them see how it used to be in the “old days”. This reminds me of an incident which occurred one "steaming day" at the museum some time ago; the steam train was in the station and a little girl was looking at it and she said to me , “it must be very old”. When I told here it was the same age as me and asked how old she thought it was, she answered, “Gee is it a hundred”? That really made me feel young (I don't think).

Sue - You've done it again; just as I was about to hit the "send" button the message comes up to say someone else has posted and I had to put the brakes on.

That Alc. Brasiliana is getting enormous and you will definitely need a ladder and chain saw when the time comes to cut off the old spike.

I very much like your Alc. 'Silver Plum'; I have a smaller one than yours which I grew from a little three inch grass pup I was given. It was so small and it was winter time when I got it and I didn't give it much of a chance, but it survived and when the warmer weather came it really started to grow.

I like your orchid; is it Brassia Verrucosa? I have a similar one growing in a large terracotta saucer which flowers every year at about this time. It's in spike now but the flowers haven't opened yet and I'll probably post a pic when it flowers.

Pic.1 today is for Kristi and is Crypt. 'Lisa Vinzant' which was hybridized, grown and photographed by Chanin Thurot of Thailand. Pic.2 and 3 are a couple of Neo. seedling culls in the front garden just to show there's even something worthwhile looking at in "cast-offs", Pic.4 is Billbergia Rosea showing the silvery seed pods starting to form and Pic.5 is Aechmea Fasciata purpurea.

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America