Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: JanetMcC picture (small, ground-hugging wetland savanna starburst in S Miss.)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JanetMcC

Subject: small, ground-hugging wetland savanna starburst in S Miss.

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of small, ground-hugging wetland savanna starburst in S Miss.
JanetMcC wrote:
I photographed this plant Dec. 8, 2012, on the Dees nature trail at the Mississippi Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge in Gautier, Miss. Dwarf sundew and club moss were in the same area. There was even more in a much wetter area with lots of yellow trumpet pitcher plants, a couple weeks earlier. The ones I photographed were perhaps 3 to 4 inches across; those in the wetter area were maybe 6 to 7 inches across. Many had orange leaftips or even entire leaves.

The third photo is to give it context. The plant is about 1/3 of the way up and 2/3rds of the way to the right. The tiny red blob to its lower right is a dwarf sundew, maybe an inch or so across, if that.

Bonus points if someone can identify the plant with four fleshy hairy leaves next to the rosette-y plant. It's most visible in the 4th photo.

I tried using the USDA plant database, but just don't have the technical vocabulary it needs.

Thanks!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America