Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning, nice to see a few posts!
Wendy, it good that your sale was so busy! Did you make much space (more important than money) I am eager to see your Orlandiana seedlings mature. How exciting.
Aechmea 'Mend' is the albo marginated form of A. lueddemanniana, and A. 'Alvarez' is the variegated form. A. 'Rodco' is alot like A. 'Alvarez' but in my opinion, is a much larger plant with a more vibrant pink. As for 'inverta' I'm not quite sure what that means.
Lucky you to be so adept at typing. I mustn't tap the keys hard enough, as I look at the keyboard when typing, and when I check the screen, half the letters and spaces are missing, Or I get extras!
Ian, I thought I was the busy one here! The new spot for your plants looks well shaded and should suit them well, although I can sympathise with you when it comes time to clean the leaf matter out! Was the rhino beetle damaging the seedlings, or just displacing them? What do they eat? Maybe it was looking for a place to lay its eggs? Lucky you found it early.
bree, you don't have to post photos to drop in. Just a comment or two is enough so that we know you're ok. I do like your colourful photos though.......
Colleen, poor Branden! Clocked (literally) in the eye and punctured by cactus! That has got to hurt! You have all been in the wars this year. Your photos of your broms look just as colourful as ours. Maybe its just the camera types and settings.
Nev, that Crypt. 'Lisa Vinzant'is a stunner. I didn't know Chanin was on DG? I have seen some of his other posts in other forums. They grow nice broms in those tropical countries. I remember seeing some on garden web, from a lady called lyndee? in Singapore, and the Cryptanthus were huge!
Yes, that is Brassia verrucosa, and I got a peice from a market in Toukley years back, stuck it on a tree, and it is flowering now also. The one in the shade house is a potful I inherited from LeisaD. I had another coming into flower, but every bud was eaten by something? A sprinkle of snail pellets must have done the trick, as all the curent orchid buds are looking good (fingers crossed)
Nev, stop mentoning chainsaws in relation to my Alc! it makes me nervous! heh heh. I see Jack has a picture of his one on FB, but it does look slightly different in the stem colour, I think? Now, how did you get a grass pup of A. 'Silver Plum'? I was told they didn't produce grass pups. I saw a heap being sold at a plant fair, with grass pups all over them, and was told by the grower that they were seedlings from A. 'Silver Plum' and was told later, by someone in the know, that yes, an A. 'Silver Plum' f2 will produce grass pups. It has left me a little confused. How did they get the original A. 'Silverplum' (without grassies) and why does the f2 produce grassies?
I trust you had a good day with the steam trains? I remeber time spent with my Dad, in the Waitakeres in NZ, when we used to go on a small train. I just googled it, and they still do the train trip in a miniature train, through glow worm caves. I think they follow the old train lines when they built the dam? Ahhhh, memories. I bet you are building lasting memories for your grandkids too.
Anyway, housework day today. There are grass clippings and yard debris all through the house, the sign of a gardener!
No new photos to post today, but I shall try to get new ones for tomorrow, unless you want a 'Toy Run' shot? Taken while riding!
Sue

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America