Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: perke_patch picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi all.
Haven't caught up on sleep yet. Max was making all sorts of noises all night last night. It sounded like he was trying to clear a lump from his throat so maybe his tumour is moving into his throat now. It seems to be pretty hard for him to breath through his nose at night so I think it has moved to the right side now. because he is not sleeping well at night he is sleeping more in day so I think the decision will have to be sooner rather than later and today Johnny actually mentioned that so I think I need to get some photos for him for later. maybe some xmas ones like yours Trish. love the christmas messages your dogs are displaying.

Nev your fruit salad cross sounds marvellous. I think I put pollen on some of my fruit salads but the labels faded so I can't remember what I put on them. I have 5 sanderiana crosses also but the labels faded so I don't know which ones were crossed and which were F2 so I kept each and every pod separate. hopefully it will be obvious eventually which ones are F2 and which have other traits in them.

pic 1 is a lump of ae bert growing in a tree in a lot of sun. theyhave a range colours as you can see. I love these and this clump caused all of our berts to be bought on the weekend. we can't seem to get enough of these or blanchetianas. both of these aechmeas walked out the gate again and we have none left. however a couple of our regular customers did say they were taking pups to the dump as they had them everywhere in their own yards and had given away as many as possible to friends and now they all say no when offered so in future they will drop them off to us and we will swap them for something which works for us. we had regulars bringing us plants this weekend and we now have a lovely red canna and some trumpet plants as well as orchids. Jen looked absolutely exhausted yesterday when she left here around 4pm. we had our last customer after 7pm (did I say that last night??) anyway I know that Jen still reads posts as she mentions them.
Pic 2 is orlandiana rainbow growing in full sun. over winter Johnny pushed the ring up to very top of the pole so the plant stuck up over the roof of the shadecloth so it was in full sun. we haven't moved it back down. apparently this is what people see when they pull up so everyone wants one of these. this one now has 3 good sized pups on it ready to come off. we also have 2 old mothers hidden in back with pups on them.
pic 4 is orlandiana snowflake. this one is in the tree so is more white than the one in a pot under shadecloth. I know this one in the tree has a pup on it but I'm not climbing to get it down. LOL. not sure if hte potted one has a pup coming yet. I'd love to get one more so I can get more pups. I promise I'll get pics of the orlandiana seedlings. Nev I didn't remember that I sent you some of the seed. glad it is growin for you. I know I got a lot of seed from them. I think the ants were working overtime in that section of the yard. I have several trays of them growing and they do need thining out which I've started doing. (damn DG turned it around again)
Pic 3 is ae electra or rajah. same thing. it was knows as electra for years and years and was in lots of collections then one of the big growers and importers registered it as rajah and did a big release and sold lots. we've flowered both and they are identical. anyway we had one flowering this weekend put a 'display only' sign on and a couple of photos attached to others as well and sold abou 4 or 5 large plants which will probably flower this year anyway. we also let the flowering one go yesterday afternoon too.

anyway I'm off to bed early again tonight. lucky I got an early one in last night so I had a good hour to get into a deep sleep before Johnny and Max came in so I didn't get woken up till after 1am for a toilet trip. then I couldn't get back to deep sleep with Max making all those noises and Johnny turning on the torch and bending over to check on him all night long. So I'll get an early couple hours before them again tonight I think.

Night all
Wendy

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America