Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone -Well the winds have stopped and the sun is shining once again so hopefully I'll get a bit more done out in the yard.

Trish – It's good to get a nice long post from you during the week instead of having to wait until the weekend. I love the Christmas pic's of your “happy hounds”, although I must say they don't look like they approved very much.

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the Ae Blanchetiana (orange form) from Sue. It's a beautifully coloured plant and will do well for you in your climate. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the climate down here.

I haven't seen Neo. Grace x Break of Day (Gold form) and will be most interested to see a pic when the plant matures. I have both of the parents (Pic's 1 and 2) so the pedigree is there for breeding, that's why I'm so interested in seeing the result when it matures. I don't know what the breeder was after as the plants are totally different (colour wise) but maybe it was something in the past breeding lineage that the hybridiser was trying to “cash in” on, who knows?

Wendy – Sorry to hear Max is unwell again and you have my sympathy for the anguish you must both be going through once again.

I'm a bit excited about my Bill. 'Fruit Salad' x Bill. 'Fascinator' seedlings as it's the first time I've managed to get seed on any of my Bill's at all. Everyone says they are the easiest brom's of the lot to hybridize with, but for some reason I never seem to be able to “crack it” and finish up with a pod full of seed. Where did you get your original plant of 'Fruit Salad' from, was it a hybrid from John and Jenny Catlan's breeding successes, and what else do you know of its history?

There's no doubt about it, Ae Orlandianas are really very attractive plants, and although they're not everyone's “cup of tea” they are still so popular that I never end up with any spare pups, but have a rather long waiting list of names of people wanting pups instead. I wish the Neo seedlings were as popular, because then my space problems would be solved.

As for the Tillandsias, well they are something that's never really appealed to me, probably because they take so long to grow from seed. The little collection you see hanging near the shade house door in yesterday's pic are just little “bits and pieces” friends have given me in their attempt to convert me, but I've never actually gone and deliberately bought any. They just hang there and get a bit of a spray when I'm watering the Neo's but otherwise they just take their chances and they seem to grow OK so they must like the micro-climate the larger plants create in that particular shade house.

I'll try and finish this morning and get this post away before Sue posts so I'll finish with a few pic's. Pic.1 is Neo Grace; Pic.2 is Neo 'Break of Day' Pic.3 is one of the miniature species which I noticed yesterday as it was in flower. See how high the flowers are in comparison to other Neo flowers which makes them much easier to get at when hybridising. I did a few crosses with some of those flowers after I took the pic's yesterday so it will be interesting to see what turns up. Pic.4 is Neo. 'Broulee Beauty' and Pic.5 is not my picture nor my plant but is at the top of my "Wish List" it is called Neo.'Ipswich Gold' and I believe it is another of the wonderful hybrids from Alan Freeman. If anyone knows where I can get a pup, please let me know as I've been chasing it for quite a while now without success.

All the best, Nev.

P.S. Bugger! Sue's done it again and jumped in just as I was about to post, that makes it three days in a row, a "trifecta".

Sue - When you pose in front of the Alcantarea with Bill for the "Chrissy Cards", I think it would be more appropriate if Bill had a chain saw in his hand, Ha! Ha!

As for the Rodco, Mend and Alvarez etc. being slow growers, well I have a couple of plants of Mend (inverta) which came from the same plant owned by a friend of mine down the coast and they just seem to be stationary (growth wise), so I'm going to do a fertilizing experiment on one of them and not feed the other as it will be the 'control plant". I'll post results each six months.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America