Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: perke_patch picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone. after a busy weekend we have had a busy day today. very early start and we took Johnny's sister Patricia to see Ross Little. Trisha has just started collecting broms so we were keen to see her reaction to Pingrove Nursery. It was like watching a kid on christmas morning seeing their presents and deciding which one to play with first. LOL. We had to go down there t get some more large alc extensas while he still had them. we have been going through them at our sales. Anyway we had a very succesful haul today albeit an expensive shopping trip. we were a but squishy with 3 of us in the front seat and the back was a bit squishy with all the broms. Tomorrow we have about 100 seedlings to pot up tomorrow now but so happy with our haul. we've saved ourselves about 2 years of growing from seed.

Shirley we were talking to someone last week who works for telstra in Brisbane. apparently the complaints dept is still in Brisbane so if you are sick of being f@##d around by their call centre staff just ask to talk to the complaints department. That way you can get someone in Australia who will probably fix your problem in the time it takes you to click your fingers. good luck. he said sometimes he has trouble understanding the call centre staff so he doesn't know how customers manage it.

Sue I was talking to Ross today and he spoke about someone in Qld posting a pic of 'Mr Odean' on fb and he told them to make sure to write their label as 'mister odean' which is the registered name not the abbreviated 'mr'. so to keep Ross happy maybe we better start calling it the full name. LOL. I wish we were a bit closer to you so we could go that bit further to pick up some blanchetiana pups. We went through all our potted ones last weekend and Johnny even cut pups straight off the plants and sold them too. as I've said before we can't get enough of them so if you find you can't get rid of yours give us a call and we'll happily take them off your hands for the right price LOL

I bought some billbergia seed today straight off the mother plant. it is hallelujah x domingos martins. both of these are strong plants so seedlings should be good. anyhow I thought the seed was a bit expensive at $5 for a single pod but hey I'd already said I would buy some before price was spoken so my fault. he listed some good crosses coming up that he would have seed to sell so I'm tempted. I bought 2 pots of his domingos martins x windigig special. pots were full of tubes of nice black bills so looked great. worth $10 I thought. I'll get a pic tomorrow for you to see. I didn't even take my camera with me today as I've been to Pinegrove so many times I didn't think there would be anything new to take pic of. I should have known better as there is always something flowering so I missed a good pic shot of ae maria reginia in flower (I think that is what it is called). anyway t was a nice pic missed.

for those of you who haven't any chance of getting to Wardell near Ballina in NSW to see Pinegrove Nursery there is the shadehouse areas and then there is a heap of bush down the back where Ross plants the mothers and he purchased the property with the bush planted with broms on the ground and in the trees. sometimes the weight of the broms has snapped the branch off and it is just sitting on the ground covered in broms. it is mind boggling to see foliage vriseas in clumps in among neos, aechmeas, hohenbergias, billbergias and anything else you can think of all mixed in together. Ross has been there for years now and when something flowers down the back that hasn't flowered there before he gets to name another clump of previously NOIDs. there are still plants down there that he is waiting to flower so he can positively ID. we got another aechmea arapensis this time with a good clump of roots so should have success with growing it this time. last one was cut off to high and rotted off. I'll find the pics of previous visit for you.

Pic 1 is arapensis. the stem is like a piece of wood with this large hard clump on top. natives used these as a weapon apparently. I collected seed from Ross's plant down the back.
pic 2 is billbergia Alan Ladd which Ross is selling for big $$$$. he has just flowered and crossed it and is waiting for seed for form. I want one .........
pic 5 is billbergia Maurie's ladd which I really really want a pup of but again he has flowered, crossed and is waiting for seed.
pic 3 is vr bituminosa growing in the bush down the back.
pic 4 is dykia naked lady which was flowering last time we were there and today the seed was flying everywhere with the wind so Helen had to get a bag and give it a good shake to collect as much seed as she could.

There seemed to be a lot more branches down in the bush this time and a lot more sunshine getting through to the broms so I think there has been a bit of wind down there lately. Ross may have to remove the damaged shadecloth and replace it with some new to protect his stock plants.

Thanks to all those who are caring enough to ask after Max. After I posted about his bad night and sleepy day he has been having several days of really good health and you wouldn't even know he has anything wrong. he is starting to clear his throat a bit but not too bad last couple of days. we know another bad day will come but while we are having good days we will keep on as we are. Thanks for being caring mates.

well time for bed again. sitting in a passenger seat is sooooooo tiring isn't it LOL

night all
Wendy

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America