Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: works4me picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
works4me wrote:
Hi everyone, it has been relatively cool here today … strange weather, heat waves, cold winds, heavy rain … what next?

Sue, the palms in the foreground of my pic are actually Spindle palms. They were rather untidy when they were smaller as the leaf shafts remained on the trunk after the frond died and they were difficult to remove but the palms have been there about 25 years now and are self cleaning. The seeds can be a bit messy so I generally remove them before the pods open. Most of the palms in the background are Foxtails, lovely palms but also rather messy with lots of very large orange seeds.

Yes Sue, I am hoping that we keep our internet access though we are experiencing problems again. And I always enjoy going to Wendy’s sales, already looking forward to the next one.

Bree, love your pics, especially your Stars n Bars.

Nev, I am just so infuriated with BigPond and their service … what service, you say ... I am about to explode. Anyway, the steam coming out of my ears is fogging up the monitor so I’ll go get a cuppa and calm down.

I can’t take the credit for the size of the Galactic Warrior, Nev, as I bought it only a few months ago and other than removing a nice pup, I haven’t done a thing, though it does have much better colour now. I will post a pic of when I purchased it and a recent one for comparison. By the way, love your Neo. 'Broulee Beauty', do you have any spare pups, I would love one of those. And I can see why you are chasing neo Ipswich Gold.

Trish, I have placed succulents under the palms as I don’t want to risk harming my broms if the fronds fall, though they do seem to hang for a couple of days prior to dropping and if I am vigilant I can pull them away from any plants underneath. Succulents are virtually indestructible and if they happen to get broken, the bits will usually all grow anyway. My broms are a different story, they are a protected species. Love your neo Mister Odean.

Wendy, glad to hear Max is feeling good again. He seemed fine last Friday so I was really disappointed to hear he was crook. Do you remember the tillandsia x 3 on the piece of wood I got from you … would you know the name of the till please. And you know those totem rings, I was so keen to put them up and add broms … well, our steel posts are skinnier so now we have to try to tighten them to make them fit … bugger.

We may take your advice and try the BigPond complaints department. I know Michael did speak to them a couple of weeks ago, might be time to get back to them. And lucky you, with your brom haul, you’ll have to have another sale to make room :o)

Hi to everyone else, I’m still catching up with my reading after missing a week’s posts.

Bye for now, Shirley

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America