Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone out there in “Brom World”, I hope everyone's well and all those who were unwell are now recovering OK.

Bree – Your 'Stars 'n Bars' looks a bit different now that you show more of the green in the outside of the leaves. Even though it doesn't look like the one that is registered under that name, I think it's a more attractive plant and could you put my name down for a swap when you get a spare pup please?

Bree you've just clearly demonstrated why we can't ID a plant accurately from a picture. The three pic's of Neo. 'Two Tone' on the BCR link you provided look nothing like each other. And if shown as three separate pictures without names, I'll bet everyone would think they were three different plants.

Trish – Pleased to hear you got a bit of rain even though it wasn't much. Isn't it amazing how nice and fresh just a brief shower can make the garden smell? Wouldn't it be good if we could just go to Bunnings whenever we wanted to and buy a big bottle of rain with all the special additives in it to freshen up the garden at will. I suppose when you think about it, that's what all gardeners have been trying to come up with for centuries as we add fertiliser and trace elements to the water we put on our plants, but we never seem to be able to truly emulate Mother Nature do we?

What you say about trying to get all of the work in the garden done within the available time available outlines the following facts; when we are young and fit we never seem to get it all done as there are so many other things to do and lack of sufficient time is the problem. When we get old and are retired, we seem to have plenty of time but we're not as fit as we once were and consequently everything takes longer to achieve. I know that for myself, things that once took me half an hour now seem to take me half a day, so I guess it all balances out in the end.

Your comment on Sue's Neo. 'Mister Odean' prompts me to also say that my plant is a bit darker than Sue's as well, but then I've seen a lot of pic's of this plant and none of them seem the same so maybe it's just one of those plants which are more affected by the amount of light they receive than others.

As for the possibility of Neo. 'Cockabell' and Neo. 'Red Macaw' being related; I guess we'll never know as as they are both from different sources. Neo. 'Cockabell' was a Hummel hybrid (1977) and it's now common knowledge, for some reason Hummel never gives the names of any parents when registering plants. To read the whole article and see the pic's go to: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&i...

All that is recorded about Neo. 'Red Macaw' is that it was registered by J Catlan; no date is recorded but it was seed grown by K Bradtberg AU and it has links with Neo. Johannis. To see pic, go to http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&i...

Thanks for the kind words about my posts and I hope you all enjoy reading them as much as I like writing them, you see , while I write these posts, it helps to keep my old brain and arthritic fingers working.

In regards to Neo 'Oh No Very Cherry', I always remember what I was once told by a very experienced brom/orchid grower, and that was, “never trust the name on a name tag”. Like most people, I use the name that was on the plant when I first obtained it until I can prove it's wrong either by looking at records or being told by a respected grower that it's incorrect. I think that's all any of us can do; we will never be able to control what other people do and while ever people continue to give plants “pet names”, the problem just gets worse. Also thanks for the “thumbs up” on the name of 'Leprosa' for my Nidularium.

Ian – It seems that rain keeps avoiding you and you just can't seem to get a decent soaking. Maybe Santa Claus will bring you some rain for Christmas.

It's good to see you've had some success with your Quesnelia seeds. All we have to do now is wait and see what they turn out to be; either a selfing, a cross with another Quesnelia or perhaps even a new bi-generic cross, who knows? Your Ae. NOID seedlings are looking good also and it looks like you'll have a few more surprises with them also; isn't it interesting growing from seed; surprises, surprises surprises.

Wendy - What you say about what Ross said about Neo. 'Mister Odean' has really caught me out going against my own advice to others. I always accepted the name Mr. O'Dean as being correct as that was what was on the name tag of my plant when I got it from a respected Mail Order Bromeliad Nursery; seems you can't even trust the professional any more either.

The cost of your Bill seed depends on how many seeds are in the pod, if there are enough seeds to sow a whole take-way container (about 30 seeds), well I think that's a fair price. These prices vary a lot depending on how much seed the hybridiser has, how rare it is and how difficult it is to cross initially, so I guess everything is relevant. It sounds to me that you've paid Allan Ladd a visit, as he lists Bill. crosses using those parents and I've bought quite a bit of seed from him in the past and can recommend it as good quality as I've always had good results. I like the plant of Bill. 'Maurie's Ladd'; is it another of Allan Ladd's hybrids?

Very pleased to hear that Max is rallying and having some good days at last, lets hope this keeps on and you and Johnny can continue to give him the love and care he's become accustomed to.

Shirley – Good to see you're back and posting again and making up for lost time. Isn't it infuriating when the internet connection goes down and you can't keep up with all of the posts; and then when it comes back on again you have such a backlog of reading to do you think you'll never catch up; at least that's what happened to me.

I'm sorry but I forgot to add to that pic of Neo. 'Broulee Beauty' I posted , that it's not a "registered name" and very likely a “pet name” given by either the hybridiser or the grower who possibly lived in Broulee. Whatever the name is, I still think it's an attractive plant and it seems you like it also.

That's a nice plant of 'Galactic Warrior'; the trick is now to keep it growing as well and try and get the pup up to the same size; if you can do that, you'll know you are doing all the right things.

Sue – I'm running very late this morning and whenever this happens there is always heaps of reading to do, but I'm not complaining as it's great to see so many people posting.

I also have a couple of plants of two different hybrids from Billbergia 'Domingos Martins' x 'Hallelujah' which originally came from Allan Ladd. I think he's used both of these as well as Windigig Special as parents in his Bill. Breeding programme for a while now and I wouldn't be surprised if the ones you say are floating around the Coffs area came from him originally as well. I have to agree with you as I think it would need to be a pretty “special” seedling that was better than either Hallelujah or Domingos Martins.

It seems like me, you too have been caught out with the Mister Odean label,. and how well I know of Ross's obsession for correcting incorrect names, it seems it's been a crusade of his for years. It's a pity a few more of these knowledgeable brom. growers didn't follow in his footsteps.

I'd really love to swap a pup of Neo. 'Cockabell' if you have one to spare, so if you drop me a D-Mail and tell me what you would like in return we can sort something out.

My 'Mister Odean' seedlings are just starting to show a little colour now, although they are growing in less than ideal light. I think I'll move some under the beige shade cloth and see what eventuates.

That's great colour in your 'Ashanti' I hope mine colours up that much; I do have it beneath beige shade cloth and that's the best light it's going to get down here so I'll just have to wait and see. Nice “barring” on your Bill 'Peggy Sue' also (reminds me of a song when I was a lad).

I'm just now looking at your pic 3; that's better, now everyone can see just what a monster this Alcantarea really is and the spike certainly can't be cut off with ordinary secateurs. That's where Bill and the chain saw come in, but tell Bill not to get his whiskers tangled up in the chain, Ouch!

That'll do me for today and I'll finish with two pic's of Neo 'Mister Odean' (from various sources, but not mine) for comparison and also some Neo. Midnight Moment pic's taken of my plant in different seasons.

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America