Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi Everyone- It will soon be the weekend again and another week closer to Christmas.

Wendy – In your previous post you mentioned you had brought back 100 seedlings from Ross; well you can't just leave us all hanging like that you know, we want to know the names of the crosses....”pretty please”.

You also speak about Ae. 'Mariae Reginae' – This is a beautiful and unusual Aechmea and also has male and female flowers (there's a name for this but I can't remember it). A few years back I bought some seed from Ebay which grew quickly and soon I had a crop of nice little 2” high plants, and then came winter and I finished up with three plants. These have struggled ever since and were still only about 6” high last year and looking so “scabby” I got tired of looking at them and reluctantly had to accept the fact that they just won't grown down here. I contemplated giving them to some of my grower friends “up north” but they just looked so “daggy” I tossed them in the bin instead.

I meant to tell you some time back that often on Ebay you can pick up some seed at a reasonable price and apart from the Mariae Reginae, I have also bought seed from Gus Sanguinea, Bromelia Pinguin, a few different Puyas and others I can no longer remember, so it's probably worth browsing Ebay occasionally for something different.

Trish – Thanks- I'll be looking forward to receiving the Pink Ginger next week and I'll also brush up on the cultivation notes so I'm ready to get it planted.

You mention Vandas, I had a Vanda Rothchildiana I bought back when I grew orchids and in those days down here they needed a heated glasshouse, but boy was it worth the effort. When it eventually flowered it had beautiful big 5” round shaped blueish purple flowers with a beautiful perfume to boot....a really magnificent plant.

You mention the pic's I posted of Neo. 'Midnight Moment' taken at different times of the year; it's interesting to note that if you look carefully at most brom's, you will notice little subtle changes in their colour every week. The colours start out pale when they are pups and as the plants mature then so does the colour intensify. This is why so many people who buy a pup of a plant they have seen in its mature state, often think they have been sold the wrong plant, as the colour is entirely different. Then you have the other factors of fertilising and light intensities to consider which will all have a bearing on the plant colour as well. So don't be disappointed if you buy or swap a pup and it doesn't look like you thought it would, remember it's still a baby and needs to grow a bit.

I find the colouring of your plant of Sweet Dreams most unusual because when you look past the very prominent red spotting, and look closer at the leaves, they have very faint red striations in them as well which is a bit unusual. According to the BCR it is a Margaret Patterson hybrid and is a cross between 'Jewellery Shop' and 'Gespacho' (sometimes known as 'Gespachio'). When and if you ever get a spare pup you would like to swap, I would be interested, so please put my name on the back of the name tag.

This plant shouldn't be confused with another hybrid which is registered as Sweet Dream (no “s”) and was grown by G. Anderson and registered by G. Goode back in 1986. It is shown as having 'Cinnabar' as the seed parent but there is no pollen parent listed and unfortunately no pic either.

Shirley – I think I may have a spare pup of Neo. 'Broulee Beauty' (unreg.) to give it the full title, and I'll have a look over the next couple of days and get back to you. Don't worry if you don't have anything to swap at this stage, you can “owe me one”.

I meant to mention yesterday, that you're best to wait until the pups on your Galactic Warrior get a decent size before removing them. Like all brom's, although they can be removed when rather small, they won't grow into such a nice big plant if removed too soon. Obviously this won't allow you to take as many pups, but the ones you do get will be of superior quality. This has been proved many times by many different growers, and is advice well worth taking. I've trialled this statement with two of the same plants and taken pups at different times and the ones I allowed to grow large before removal grew into far better plants and the smaller ones never did attain the same size.

Sue - I nearly got in before you this morning, but once again you posted just as I was about to hit the "send " button. I sometimes think you have some way of watching when I'm about to post as it seems to happen too often.

Now that you mention it, that pic of Mister Odean certainly does clearly show the semi-concentric markings we so often see in crosses made with Neo Concentrica in the breeding. However when I checked the BCR I found that Neo. 'Roy' was used as both the seed parent and the pollen parent. So I delved back further to see what was in the parentage of Neo 'Roy' and found the seed parent was Neo. Melandonta 'Red' and the pollen parent Neo. Spectabilis 'Pinkie' both of which are species and not a sign of Neo Concentrica anywhere. However when looking at the pic's of Neo Melandonta, I can see some similarities with Concentrica although no semi-concentric rings. So it seems that in this case, Neo Concentrica is not the culprit responsible for the rings.

To finish now I have a few pic's I took yesterday Pic.1 is another of my Neo. Concentrica x [Charm x Cracker Jack] seedlings, Pic.2 is Neo. 'Lambert's Pride' an old favourite and very good grower and “pupper”. Pic.3 is another of my seedlings, this time of Neo. 'Thunderbird' x 'Lambert's Pride', I don't know if it's just me or not but I can see the Lambert's Pride influence in this seedling. Just for a change of pace Pic.4 is Vriesea 'Evita' which interestingly, changes the colour of the leaves depending on the light intensity it's grown under. This one was grown in bright light beneath beige shade cloth while it's other brothers and sisters which were grown in a more shady environment all have green leaves. Finally Pic5 shows Nidularium Longiflorum just coming into flower for Christmas.

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America